AAA warns E15 gasoline could cause car damage

Further NorthFurther North Senior MemberPosts: 1,699 Senior Member
AAA warns E15 gasoline could cause car damage

E15, a higher blend of ethanol and gasoline, has rolled out in a handful of states. But its use in older vehicles is generating warnings from AAA, which says E15 could be harmful to pre-2012 vehicles.


http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/30/aaa-e15-gas-harm-cars/1735793/

Voided Warranty info from Consumer Reports:

"In one of the last steps toward selling gasoline with higher concentrations of ethanol, the EPA finalized a label that will identify gas pumps dispensing E15 ethanol, a fuel containing 15 percent ethanol and 85 percent gasoline. (Read: "Move over E85, here comes E15.")

The new orange label displays "E15" in large type and states that the fuel is for use only in 2001 or newer model-year vehicles or flex-fuel vehicles, and that it is illegal to use it in other vehicles or in power equipment such as lawnmowers.

In response to the release of the labels, nine automakers—including Chrysler, General Motors, and Toyota—wasted no time writing letters to Congress criticizing the proposal and noting that they will not honor warranties for older cars running on E15. The automakers say they are concerned about the effects of E15 on engines, fuel pumps, and other fuel-system components in cars that were not designed for it. (Learn more about ethanol: "The great ethanol debate.")"


More here: http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/07/warranties-void-on-cars-burning-e15-say-automakers.html
"Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."

Replies

  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    Is there some reason we need two posts about the same thing?

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • why does AAA hate farmers?
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Is there some reason we need two posts about the same thing?

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

    Nope...sorry about that. Must have messed up adding the 2nd post. Combine, or delete, please.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    Which one?

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

    Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Either is fine. Again, sorry for wasting your time.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Our Volvo S40 gives me the "Check Engine" light when ever we switch to the higher winter ethanol blends. What a waste of resources.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,779 Senior Member
    AAA's saying it? Most owner's manuals say it, too. Not like it's a new revelation...
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    My Trailblazer says it's compatible with E85, so I guess I should be okay with E15 other than the lousy gas mileage.

    bd
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    One quart Everclear, 4 cups water, 2 cups sugar and 1 oz peppermint extract. Not to be used in people born before 1991.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • lower gas mileage is a good thing
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Everclear-- that stuff makes you talk in Tongues...

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,180 Senior Member
    F**K Ethanol!

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
  • joekrz wrote: »
    F**K Ethanol!

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkkmBsm4gexFDU2r27nooOjZFIuJ8EMxMTcP81C9r1JvuZ1ATElw

    Go for it.
  • by the way guys

    ever want to never ever put butter on sweet corn again?

    here's a lil monkey trick

    soak your ears in the husks and then put on the grill ... when fully steamed peel the husk back and over open flame put them back onto the grill and using a mix of 1 part Thai peanut sauce and 2 parts peanut oil brush the ears and sear them on the open flame
    serve and enjoy
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Sounds interesting, I'll have to try it...

    Mike
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    by the way guys

    ever want to never ever put butter on sweet corn again?

    here's a lil monkey trick

    soak your ears in the husks and then put on the grill ... when fully steamed peel the husk back and over open flame put them back onto the grill and using a mix of 1 part Thai peanut sauce and 2 parts peanut oil brush the ears and sear them on the open flame
    serve and enjoy
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    by the way guys

    ever want to never ever put butter on sweet corn again?

    here's a lil monkey trick

    soak your ears in the husks and then put on the grill ... when fully steamed peel the husk back and over open flame put them back onto the grill and using a mix of 1 part Thai peanut sauce and 2 parts peanut oil brush the ears and sear them on the open flame
    serve and enjoy

    That sounds great......I only have to wait until May to try it.....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • monkeydoes wrote: »
    by the way guys

    ever want to never ever put butter on sweet corn again?

    here's a lil monkey trick

    soak your ears in the husks and then put on the grill ... when fully steamed peel the husk back and over open flame put them back onto the grill and using a mix of 1 part Thai peanut sauce and 2 parts peanut oil brush the ears and sear them on the open flame
    serve and enjoy

    Thanks Moneky. My SIL is alergic to peanuts, should make a bbq this summer fun ;)
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    by the way guys

    ever want to never ever put butter on sweet corn again?

    here's a lil monkey trick

    soak your ears in the husks and then put on the grill ... when fully steamed peel the husk back and over open flame put them back onto the grill and using a mix of 1 part Thai peanut sauce and 2 parts peanut oil brush the ears and sear them on the open flame
    serve and enjoy

    Um, what if I like putting butter on sweet corn???

    bd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.