All In The Family

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,959 Senior Member
In 2007, in the wake of the biggest lobbying scandal in decades, Congress limited the ability of family members to lobby their relatives in the House or Senate. But it declined to ban the practice entirely.

Since then, 56 relatives of lawmakers have been paid to influence Congress. More than 500 firms have spent more than $400 million on lobbying teams that include the relatives of members, according to a Washington Post analysis of disclosure forms.

The Post analysis shows that the interests of lawmakers and their relatives have overlapped to varying degrees on bills before Congress. In the past six years, for example, 36 congressional relatives — including spouses, children, siblings, parents and in-laws — have been paid to influence 250 bills passing through their family members’ congressional committees or sponsored by the members.

All of this is legal under the rules Congress has written for itself.

Be sure to check out the graphic (charts) link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/in-congress-relatives-lobby-for-bills-before-family-members/2012/12/29/a54adce2-4301-11e2-9648-a2c323a991d6_story.html?hpid=z4
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,106 Senior Member
    This falls under "they all do it"
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,559 Senior Member
    no..... falls under "they should all be publicly tarred, feathered, and replaced".
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • it's funny

in the effort to reform othropeadics companies as a result of the Sunshine laws a few years back companies are forbidden from hiring direct relatives and spouses of ortho surgeons or medical facility administrative staff as representatives, etc in order to 'restrict' unfair influence on cotracting and purchasing practices

once again we see a body of lawmakers who are nothing more than do as I say and not as I do
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    But at least they're not getting a raise this year..... oh.......wait....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.