Fly or Lure?

Gene TrumpGene Trump Junior MemberPosts: 14 Junior Member
This should raise some eyebrows... or not. The same folks who produce the Fish Skulls also make a product called a Flash Generator. Well, obviously, it is a blade. I suppose they expect you to use them with patterns tied with the Fish Skulls but I tried that and it is no easy task! So I tied (built?) some patterns without the Skulls and tried them for bass at the local farm pond. It was late in the season and the rains began so I only tried a few patterns once. Something broke off one of my experimental patterns when it was dropping. I believe the flutter of the blade probably induced the hit.

Retrieving gained a lot of pecks from the bluegill but no bass. I've tied some more experimental patterns with the blades and will try them next Spring.

Flies with blades are nothing new. They've been around for as long as I've been flyfishing and that is long time.

Dave Whitlock once said that when it comes to warm water species of fish, we as fly anglers don't try to match a bug but the lures the spin guys use. And when I look at the successful patterns tied for bass, they are close to representing spinning lure and poppers.

I push the envelope when it comes to fly patterns and I'm willing to experiment. Some fly anglers would consider this blasphemy.

It should be interesting next Spring when I have more time to mess around with these guys:

404433349.jpg

Replies

• Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Interesting...I'm anything but a purist (I'll throw a spinning or baitcasting rod if that's what works any given day), and hadn't really thought about a blade on a fly.

How do they throw?
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Gene TrumpGene Trump Junior Member Posts: 14 Junior Member
    The blades are light and because they attach directly to the shank, they cast quite easily with my bass tapper line. I use glass beads for the bearing surfaces but for additional weight, metal beads could certainly work as an option. They cast easier than a surface popper. I need to experiment more with the blades so see if I can get them to spin while retrieving the line. In moving water, I'm sure the blades would spin quite easily. I thought about making some in steelhead colors to try on the coastal streams for steelhead but I'm afraid some fly fishing purists would find out and I'd be the subject of a drive-by shooting :o
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    Heck Gene, I'd fish those. On my old fiberglass spinning rod with 6 lb. mono on my Mitchell-Garcia 300. When I was 10.
    Purist....:p Oddly enough, I was talking with the guys at Hareline Dubbin' about the product and they are selling the blades like crazy.... Someone is using them for something.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,777 Senior Member
    Gene Trump wrote: »
    Purist....:p Oddly enough, I was talking with the guys at Hareline Dubbin' about the product and they are selling the blades like crazy.... Someone is using them for something.

Maybe it's yet another fashion statement.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Maybe it's yet another fashion statement.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Could be. They still have a heck of a time finding grade 1 grizzly saddle hackles.... danged teenage girls with feathers in their hair.
  • ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    Gene,

Looks like a variation to the old propeller-driven Pistol Pete streamer

pp.jpg

I'd like to hear how yours do.

Regards,
    Scott
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Back to this after a while...I can see that as an add on on a big pike streamer...add a little fluttery flash for when a bunch for fur/hair/feathers isn't getting it done.

Sometimes not being a purist lets me catch more fish...
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Fly GoddessFly Goddess Junior Member Posts: 20 Junior Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file