Judge Approves Bonuses for Hostess Execs During Company Liquidatin Process

124»

Replies

  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Me. Two years ago management was running amok. Our work hours were not only ridiculous, but illegal. After being told that if I did not like the hours I could find a new job I finally went to the union. I (along with my co-workers) now work a straight shift schedule. It would not have happened without union representaion fighting for employees rights.
    Also, I like not being subject to "right to work laws" where I could get fired for my political views or because I am a Steelers' fan (just some examples).

    If the hours were really illegal, you could have reported the company....in fact if the union did not report the violations, I'd tend to think they covered up a violation of the law to help them make a better deal for their members.

    I wouldn't want to work for anyone who'd do that.....
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    I think that's how things used to be-not anymore...

    Mike

    I don't agree...I'm both a shareholder, and one of the workers....I take the responsibility to help provide for people's families as seriously as a heart attack and I know that is not something unique either to me or my company. There's a lot of the economy in our town that is based on the wages we pay, and that of other companies in the area. I know for a rock solid fact that other companies in the area feel the same.

    A lot of us sweat that stuff.

    Are there plenty that are the other way? Sure. But I think they are short sighted.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Company A makes a product employing North American workers and using local suppliers and sells it's product for x dollars. Company B has moved all production offshore except for head office and sells the same product- maybe even a lesser quality for 1/3 of company A's price. Who is Walmart, Home Depot et al going to use as a supplier? Short sighted, absolutely, but profit is the bottom line..
    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Your model is right, as far as it goes - it's sort of what happened to our auto industry. Cheaper, better cars effectively moved the jobs overseas...but look what happened to them.

    You can't make profit if you can't sell product, and if you keep cutting the bottom out of your market by shipping all the potential wages people buy stuff with overseas.

    Sooner or later it'll catch up with them....like most things, it's more complicated than something as simple as the bottom line.

    Look at what happened to a lot of mill towns in the NE and other places. They shipped the jobs down south, or overseas...and today there's not a helluva lot left for anyone...
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,246 Senior Member
    Some at least. Housing costs for certain, as they are largely market driven.

    How much is rising fuel and transportation costs responsible for the bulk of increase labor costs?

    Let's see in 1910 a gallon of gas was 7 cents. Housing is also commodity, that is driven more by an increase in demand than the cost of making a twinkie.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Further North

    You're right, but unfortunately for all of us, nobody seems to give a ****..

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,246 Senior Member
    I think a company's first responsibility is more complicated than being simply to it's shareholders, because shareholders don't have anything without the people who are willing to work to build the product that is sold to make them dividends and increase their stock prices...making the "first responsibility" to the shareholders ignores the benefit to a community of wages, taxes and other things that make communities good places to live.

    I'd suggest that any company that puts shareholders 100% over the welfare of the people who make the company successful are short sighted. Who's going to buy the stuff you make overseas if you send all the jobs out of the country? If you buy everything overseas, how are you going to retain capital?

    Actually I think it is a law that a company does have to put increasing shareholder value above all else. However it could be argued that sending jobs overseas while cheaper does not increase share holder value.

    Take Apple the process they use for manufacturing their phones is labor intensive. They could move the plant here with a more educated employee base and automate and the increase in productivity would more than make up what they are saving by hiring Chinese labor.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Further North

    You're right, but unfortunately for all of us, nobody seems to give a ****..

    Mike

    I do, so do quite a few of us that don't have any "power".
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    Further North

    You're right, but unfortunately for all of us, nobody seems to give a ****..

    Mike

    Not enough of us, anyway. Not sure when we became unable to see bast the toes of our own shoes, but it's distressing especially if you have kids.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    We should form a union or something..my job is done;)

    Mike
    Wetdog wrote: »
    I do, so do quite a few of us that don't have any "power".
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    We should form a union or something..my job is done;)

    Mike

    No, A "movement."
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    We should form a union or something..my job is done;)

    Mike

    :) :D

    I think we should form an onion.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    The bonuses do not include pay for CEO Gregory Rayburn, who was brought on as a restructuring expert earlier this year. Rayburn is being paid $125,000 a month.

    A month? Hey Joe how's this square with you?

    I addressed that on page 1 of this thread already...
    joekrz wrote: »
    It seems pretty crappy that those execs get the bonuses and the workers get crapped on.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    Well there's enough anecdotal evidence! Shut down those evil teacher unions.

    Of course it's not representative of everyone. I know that. I was just answering Wetdogs question about "ask a teacher". I'm sure the opinion on the matter by other teachers varies by a large degree.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Last part first. No big deal eh, maybe not in her school, maybe as you suggested, she didn't care as she has insurance through her husband and doesn't have to deal with the district changes. How long has she been teaching. My wife didn't make that after more than thirty years.

    She has been teaching for 15 years and holds a masters degree. As I stated she didn't think it was too big of deal. Her and my wife talk on the phone almost daily, so I get all of the "updates" if you know what I mean. Not sure who carries the insurance. Her husband works at the WPS plant in Weston.
    First part, yeah in your area and most of semi rural Wisconsin there aren't as many choices, so employers can keep the wages down. But if they made more, they would spend more helping the entire area.

    Probably.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Me. Two years ago management was running amok. Our work hours were not only ridiculous, but illegal. After being told that if I did not like the hours I could find a new job I finally went to the union. I (along with my co-workers) now work a straight shift schedule. It would not have happened without union representaion fighting for employees rights.
    Also, I like not being subject to "right to work laws" where I could get fired for my political views or because I am a Steelers' fan (just some examples).

    Seems like your situation was warranted. Good for you.

    I have to wonder though...is that the norm throughout the country or just an isolated incident?
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,018 Senior Member
    Joe, in this case it was very localized and only affected 10 employees. I had to work from 1600-2400 followed immediately by working 0800-1600 followed immediately by a 2400-0800 shift. No, I'm not exaggerating, I had to endure this every week! The only reason we did not go to the union earlier was due management threats and intimidation.
    I'm glad my union (AFGE) said "no f&$/ing way and we had change within a month.
    I have been a union member since the second day I started and will continue my support. I have considered becoming more involved with the Local.
    PS. This is a federal job with the Department of Defense; I can easily imagine greater, and unchecked abuses occurring in jobs where there is no representation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Are you a drone pilot??

    Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.