Ex-Florida GOP Chair, Claims Republican Voting Laws Focused On Suppression, Racism

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/26/jim-greer-florida-voting-laws_n_2192802.html

Jim Greer, the former head of the Florida Republican Party, recently claimed that a law shortening the early voting period in the state was deliberately designed to suppress voting among groups that tend to support Democratic candidates, the Palm Beach Post reports.

“The Republican Party, the strategists, the consultants, they firmly believe that early voting is bad for Republican Party candidates,” Greer told the Post. “It’s done for one reason and one reason only...‘We’ve got to cut down on early voting because early voting is not good for us.’"

Greer also acknowledged that the effort to restrict early voting would directly affect turnout among Florida's African Americans, a demographic that consistently supports Democrats.

“The sad thing about that is yes, there is prejudice and racism in the party but the real prevailing thought is that they don’t think minorities will ever vote Republican,” he told the Post.

Replies

• Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    Isn't one of the big reasons for early voting supposed to be for people who are out of town on business or traveling on vacation?
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Isn't one of the big reasons for early voting supposed to be for people who are out of town on business or traveling on vacation?

Do you mean Absentee voting?
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    If the two are not the same, then yes.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • And if you've never voted in Florida (soon becoming a 3rd world country) with hours long lines early voting was meant to reduce those lines. When you don't have the luxury of waiting in line for hours to vote and a job awaits what's gonna have to give?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/05/us-usa-campaign-florida-idUSBRE8A41KA20121105

The state's Republican-led legislature cut the number of early voting days nearly in half this year, leading to long lines where voters had to wait up to 8 hours and complaints that the change in voting rules was part of a Republican effort to suppress Democratic votes.

Republican Governor Rick Scott rejected a call last week to extend early voting by a day.

The data suggests the changes curbed in-person voting at the early polling sites. Florida voters cast 249,974 fewer ballots at those sites in the 2012 presidential election than in 2008.

Democrats, who typically make up a large proportion of early voters, managed only a 167,653 edge over Republicans in the voting at early balloting sites. That was well below the margin in 2008, when Democrats led in early voting by almost half a million ballots.

Republicans have the edge in absentee voting - 79,339 more Republican ballots were turned in than Democratic ballots by Sunday. Absentee voting had exceeded the 2008 totals by 207,308 ballots.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    If the two are not the same, then yes.

Not the same. Early voting can be done in person.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,779 Senior Member
    Early voting in FL tends to favor Democrats.
    Republicans tend to vote ahead of time using an absentee ballot.
    This according to a local NPR program (FL Crossroads) in the leadup to the election.

Guess which the FL Republicans want to curb? Also, they shut down some precinct polling areas and combined them with others. Generally ones in poorer areas. Guess why I and my pregnant wife spent 3 hours waiting in line to cast our ballots? They combined 3 precincts into one. And they were all in the middle to lower income areas. Lots of Obama voters, if you go by stereotypes.

Oddly enough, there were folks handing out water and candy. They were Obama supporters (I knew by their buttons and shirts.) Nobody who was supporting Romney was doing anything like that. Odd....
  • 47% are notoriously dependent on candy and water.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    That's MY candy, I deserve it!"
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,057 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    That's MY candy, I deserve it!"

Bums with sweet tooth entitlements are turning the U.S. into a third world country. Get a job, hippie.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    hey I earned 2K (plus expenses) for a six days work (sculpture) while in California. :p
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.