Home The Lodge

Good kid...

bakerloobakerloo BannedPosts: 980 Senior Member
This young man is from the little town where I teach. Yesterday he qualified for the 2012 Olympics in London.
It's a quick read..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/09/jose-ramirez-a-boxing-prodigy_n_859463.html

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Inspiring. Thanks for posting. He's got his head in the right place.

Ramirez told his father he'd attend college and become the first person in his family to graduate. He can box as much and often as he wants as long as he gets his degree. So, every day, with his father in mind, Ramirez ignores the pressures to turn pro and start earning top dollar and international exposure. Instead, he says outside the limelight, enduring a gruesome schedule tailored around three things: school, work and, of course, training.
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    He does have his head on straight. Coming from that little gang infested town and staying out of trouble is an accomplishment. Making the Olympic team is wonderful. I'm going to see if I can get him to come to school and talk to our kids about chasing a dream.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Just the question I was going to ask you. That would be cool for the kids. I hope does well in college. Getting your brains knocked around for a living doesn't seem like a great idea. The pro boxing world is full of pitfalls as well.
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    Great story! Thanks for sharing.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    bakerloo wrote: »
    He does have his head on straight. Coming from that little gang infested town and staying out of trouble is an accomplishment. Making the Olympic team is wonderful. I'm going to see if I can get him to come to school and talk to our kids about chasing a dream.

I love this idea.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement