Over lining a TFO BVK 6wt.?

CrabulaCrabula MemberPosts: 31 Member
I ordered a TFO BVK 6 wt.. I'd like to over line it with a 7wt. bass bug line to throw some air resistant foam poppers (Tim Holschlag's reg. Blockheads) for smallmouth from my kayak on a good sized river.. Does anyone know if this rod will handle a 7wt. bass bug line and good sized foam poppers?
Has anyone tried over lining this rod?

Replies

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,965 Senior Member
    I have no experience with this particular rod, but I know that almost any moderate-to-fast rod can be overlined. It often improves their fishability in-close.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • CrabulaCrabula Member Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks George K. I guess I'll find out when I get the rod. I'll be comparing it to my 6 wt. TFO TiCr 6wt. which throws the air resistant bass bugs quite well on a 7wt. bass bug line. I'm hopeful since the TFO BVK is rated as a fast rod but it doesn't have as stiff a butt as my TiCr though the tip seemed a little faster when I cast it.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    I'll bet it will handle a 7 weight just fine.
  • RandyflycasterRandyflycaster Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    I've never understood the idea of overlining a fly rod. A 6-weight rod is designed for a 6-weight line. Putting on a 7-weight line will slow down the action of a rod.
    If you feel the need to overline, then the fly rod is too stiff for you.

Besides, most lines today are slightly heavier than their traditional weights, so with most 6-weight lines you're already slightly overlining your fly rod.

Randy
  • Gene TrumpGene Trump Junior Member Posts: 14 Junior Member
    I own one. It will cast the 7 weight bass taper just fine. That's exactly what I do with mine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.