Racial Prejudice is Dead in America

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,149 Senior Member
"The poll finds that racial prejudice is not limited to one group of partisans. Although Republicans were more likely than Democrats to express racial prejudice in the questions measuring explicit racism (79% among Republicans compared with 32% among Democrats), the implicit test found little difference between the two parties. That test showed a majority of both Democrats and Republicans held anti-black feelings (55% of Democrats and 64% of Republicans), as did about half of political independents (49%)."

we sure have come a long way.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2012/10/27/poll-black-prejudice-america/1662067/
I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,398 Senior Member
    (55% of Democrats and 64% of Republicans)

I know I posted this the other day. But looking at these figures, I have to question the methodology. First what is implicit racism, and second how the hell did they measure it?

BTW I am questioning both figures. 64% of Republicans has to be a huge exaggeration.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,824 Senior Member
    I'd like to see the test and its criteria, too. Plus, I'd like to know who made the standards.

Really, I'd wonder how I would score...

Edited to add: I did a search for the poll, and couldn't find it (quick search,) but one commentator said that we as a nation haven't gotten more prejudiced, we're just more open with it.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    Probably some freakin' **** come up with the test.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    the "explicit" is more than obvious. "implicit" i wonder about. I'd like to see the questions. Correct or flawed there is no denying racial prejudice has not left us by any measure.

Buffy, that is a pretty bad comment, joking or not. Someone may get the wrong impression.

But maybe that's what "implicit" means. [tongue in cheek]
  • (55% of Democrats and 64% of Republicans)

I know I posted this the other day. But looking at these figures, I have to question the methodology. First what is implicit racism, and second how the hell did they measure it?

BTW I am questioning both figures. 64% of Republicans has to be a huge exaggeration.

That's the same question I had. what were the criteria?
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,157 Senior Member
    We have come a very long way in a very short time Dog.
    MikeA wrote: »
    We have come a very long way in a very short time Dog.

that's only becasue of the law. [grin]
  • Buffco wrote: »
    Probably some freakin' **** come up with the test.
    Well look how we've progressed. A red haired Georgia banjo player didn't use the N word. ;-)
    Wetdog wrote: »
    the "explicit" is more than obvious. "implicit" i wonder about. I'd like to see the questions. Correct or flawed there is no denying racial prejudice has not left us by any measure.

Buffy, that is a pretty bad comment, joking or not. Someone may get the wrong impression.

Irreverant wit is what we do here!
    I thought so but I got raked of the coals for what I thought was an obvious slam on anti Semitic jokes that were going around here.
    You shouldn't make fun of the Jews. Stick to blacks and gays.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,398 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »

Still gotta wonder about the questions. How many people when asked, "Do you hate black people?" would answer yes.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    me too. I don't think they ask stuff that direct. ha!
  • swamp yankeeswamp yankee Senior Member Posts: 187 Senior Member
    Buffco wrote: »
    You shouldn't make fun of the Jews. Stick to blacks and gays.

DANG IT!
    [scratching Mexicans and Poor People off list/]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.