What Drives The Obama Doubters And Haters?

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 9,553 Senior Member
Good, dispassionate article.

Not all of them are “birthers,” but the notion that the president was not born in the United States remains at the epicenter of the anti-Obama mythology. Here is the conspiracy that would have had to exist if Barack Hussein Obama II were not born in Honolulu, Hawaii, on Aug. 4, 1961:

First, the local newspapers would have had to have been in on the scheme, because they ran notices of his birth among all the other local births that week. Second, the Immigration and Naturalization Service would have had to have been covering something up, because INS officials were closely tracking Barack Obama Sr. when he was at the University of Hawaii on a student visa from Kenya. They thought that he was a bigamist — which he was, having married a woman in Kenya before coming to the States — and a womanizer, which he also was. INS documents in the weeks and months before and after the son’s birth clearly establish the father’s whereabouts and the birth of his son. Finally, the name of Obama’s mother, Stanley Ann, was unusual enough that doctors and nurses in Honolulu remembered it and her giving birth. One prominent doctor was asked by a young journalist if anything interesting had happened in the medical world that week, and he responded, “Well, Stanley had a baby!”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/what-drives-the-obama-doubters-and-haters/2012/07/27/gJQAIbImDX_story.html?tid=pm_pop
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I have an aunt who's a birther. It's cause she don't like black folks.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,835 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    I have an aunt who's a birther. It's cause she don't like black folks.

Ba-Blam!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Color. Class. Low status. Paranoid tendencies.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Fear of losing Merica to those people.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    yatahey wrote: »
    Fear of losing Merica to those people.

Don' lost already, just ast Buchanan.
    (hitching suspenders)
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 6,346 Senior Member
    A lousy education system + faux news = We Get What We Deserve!
    I know I'm overly simplistic but in everyday experience the above equation seems to hold true.
    Hate keeps folks warm. Gives the retired something to do. (e.g. Mom's boyfriend Bob).
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Watch Repo Games sometime and learn what American Stupidity is really all about.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    dryflie wrote: »
    Watch Repo Games sometime and learn what American Stupidity is really all about.

And no amount of education is going to fix that.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Wetdog wrote: »
    And no amount of educamation is going to fix that.

Fixed!

_______
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    What's the difference between an Obama doubter and an Obama hater? Is this just in relation to the whole "Birther" idiocy?
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    How about us Obama sucks as a president crowd?

I don't hate him. I don't follow the birther crowd, though it does worry me how much of his background has been hidden from public view.

I wished him well when he was first elected. I've since seen him turn into the worst president we've ever had. The thought of him getting a second term scares the heck out of me. I don't think it will happen, but it still scares me.,

Yeah, I'm part of the currently very polarized electorate. But it amazes me that so many of the folks on this board think he should be re-elected. Just as it apparently amazes you that anybody could think so poorly about the record of the Obama administration.
    sorry but this is as **** as the leftist party hacks. he's not even close to the worse president we've ever had. that's talk-radio, not reality.
    sherb wrote: »
    sorry but this is as **** as the leftist party hacks. he's not even close to the worse president we've ever had. that's talk-radio, not reality.

finally something on which we agree
    What's the difference between an Obama doubter and an Obama hater? Is this just in relation to the whole "Birther" idiocy?

Did you read the original post and the article linked?

oh, and Mr. right? Romney is the most lackluster candidate the GOP has put forward in my life. mark my words, he is going to lose. and when he does, the opposition (that's us) is gonna need to find a way to work with Obama. Win lose or draw there's still a country to govern.

Yeah, there's Carter (looking at my life time). Unfortunately, there's a good shot that President Obama will be completely lackluster and outclassed for 8 years.
    oh, and Mr. right? Romney is the most lackluster candidate the GOP has put forward in my life. mark my words, he is going to lose. and when he does, the opposition (that's us) is gonna need to find a way to work with Obama. Win lose or draw there's still a country to govern.

If the Republicans take the Senate, the opposition is going to need to find a way to work with Congress.

More lackluster than Al Gore? That takes effort.
    Did you read the original post and the article linked?

Post, yes, article, I had not...and that's why I asked...the post indicates that it's just about the whole birther thing...which is nuts.

There's lots of stuff to doubt about Obama, wasting time dwelling on junk like the article talks about just undermines and dilutes anyone's genuine argument about why they don't support the guy.
    Mr. Right wrote: »
    I've since seen him turn into the worst president we've ever had.

This could be a matter of age...I'd call Jimmy carter the worst in my adult lifetime, others will have other candidates. Digging back into history will give us all some more serious candidates...

I am certainly not thinking you are doing this (I don't know you well enough) but as an observation of others behavior, it's amazing how each successive president becomes "the worst one ever" especially when it's election time and the opposition party can make hay out of that statement.

It most often carries the same weight as the TV news reporter describing the site of a fire, or a severe storm as "It looks like a nkingbomb hit it!" No...no, it doesn't look like a bomb hit it....and Obama's hardly the worst president, neither was Bush.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."

It most often carries the same weight as the TV news reporter describing the site of a fire, or a severe storm as "It looks like a nkingbomb hit it!" No...no, it doesn't look like a bomb hit it....and Obama's hardly the worst president, neither was Bush.

ha. . . this is so true.
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    Sorry, I should amend that to the worst president in my lifetime. Carter previously held that record and, to my later embarrassment, I voted for the guy.

I suspect that a statistical analysis could be done to show that Obama's administration has done more harm to America than any other, but I don't want to spend the time to do that analysis. (Sorry, Comic.)

As for Romney being the most lackluster GOP candidate, gotta call BS. You only have to go back one cycle to find McCain.

Romney is not my ideal, dream team, GOP candidate. But stack his personal record of achievement up against Obama's and he stands like a giant. (Aided by Obama standing like a midget in the absolute.) In a year when the economy, deficits, joblessness, and debt should be the major campaign issues, Romney may be an ideal candidate - while Obama is about the worst candidate the Dems could field.

There's a lot to happen in the next 100 days but, as it stands today, I'm looking for a Romney landslide and the GOP to take over both houses.

Obama has not been the president he promised to be when he last ran; quite the opposite. A lot of his former voters are disillusioned by this and have lost their passion to vote for him. Far too many people have suffered under his administration's policies and will show that in their votes -- or lack of voting.

Meanwhile, on the GOP side, there is a lot more passion about getting Obama out of office than there was about getting McCain into office. Romney may not be able to generate passion for himself. (We'll see how he does in the debates.) But he benefits from the passion to get the Obama admistration in our rear view mirror.

Again, there's an unpredictable 100 days to go. But, at this point, I'm expecting Romney to advance while Obama declines.
    its possible I suppose. I'm no expert. my personal opinion (unscientific) is that Willard is going to lose by a wide margin. maybe not.
    its possible I suppose. I'm no expert. my personal opinion (unscientific) is that Willard is going to lose by a wide margin. maybe not.

You've been right so far... (No pun...) ;)

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,553 Senior Member

I wish I could share your optimism about Willard's chances, :) but I think it is too close to call. Let's see what skeletons emerge in the next few months, because right now it's a toss-up between Obama presiding over a bad economy on one side and Mitt's foot-in-mouth, lack of warm and fuzzies and tax return problems on the other. Aside from possible tax issue image problems none of this is relevant, but - alas - see my tag line.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    I think we're looking at a statistical coin-flip at best. A moral one without a doubt.

Folks mostly spend time with people who mostly think like they do, so are often surprised when something they think is slam dunk turns on them.

Obama was a reaction to bush, here in in WI, Walker was a reaction to Obama.

...about the only real good I see in politics right now is that maybe, just maybe, people are starting to see through the ideological absurdities of the extremists positions, and beginning to get fed up with business as usual.

...the problem, for me, with arguing for either of the current candidates is the complete lack of leadership and drive to make any real difference...and any willingness to compromise to do what's good for everyone rather than the looney-tunes running the parties.

We've got somewhere around 25 - 30% of the population making decisions for the rest of us and we're long overdue to tell them where to stick it.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,009 Senior Member
    I still get back to how much better we would be if people could get rid of the hate and actually deal with facts when discussing issues. Which is why two of my favorite people on this forum are Sherb and Steven. They agree with me on very little, but at least they deal in information that you can verify. Now this is true with most of the liberals here if not all, but they don't challenge my point of view.

I also think that this country could be better off if whomever is the Speaker of the House, would recognize that the position is Speaker of the HOUSE, not leader of their party in the house.

Oh and if Mitch McConnell would just go the way of the dinosaurs, hell he named most of them.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

Oh and if Mitch McConnell would just go the way of the dinosaurs, hell he named most of them.

Take Grover too.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.