How Many of Mitt's Kids will Enlist?

magallowaymagalloway Senior MemberPosts: 972 Senior Member
The Chickenhawks are at it again; I can only be thankful that my sons are past the age that they're of any interest to the Military-Industrial Complex.

Jim

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    They serve their country by working on Willard's campaign.
    Dressage is war!
  • Colston NewtonColston Newton Junior Member Posts: 25 Junior Member
    Well, my daughter was airborne with the 82nd. Don't believe I'll see Barry's girls there.

(My boys were Rangers and ain't for Barry, but I won't go into that.)
    Didn't the Biden boys serve?
    they did. as did McCains son and Palins son.

I am of the opinion that if Prince Harry can do a tour in Afghanistan, then Tagg, biff, levi, et al. could do their part. But they won't. The time when that sort of thing mattered for politicians is coming to an end.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,033 Senior Member
    I don't care whether Romney's kids serve or not, anybody that speaks openly of a war in the middle east with a "bring em on" bellicosity is just being stupid.

Joekrz, if you show me a clip where The President does the same thing, I will say this, "Then he was being stupid."
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,931 Senior Member
    How Many of Mitt's Kids will Enlist?

Who cares? Probably the same as Obamas.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
    I don't know, this is pretty bellicose. . .:cool:
    But overall, I'm with Comic. You want to engage in even more Wilsonian adventurism abroad? Your kids go first.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 972 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    But overall, I'm with Comic. You want to engage in even more Wilsonian adventurism abroad? Your kids go first.

My hoped-for (but probably ill-stated) point exactly.

Colston, that your children serve/served in the military is honorable, but let me ask you this: Do you wish to see any of them dead, maimed, or psychologically incapacitated because of another "Penney War" in another sun-baked hellhole that desperately needs to be brought Democracy? After Iraq and Afghanistan, I'd think someone would get the idea that we're dealing with Swift's scientists, dogs, and air-pumps again.

Jim
    Iran is so far away from developing enough fissionable material to make a bomb, that we cannot even be certain the current regime will even be in power when it happens. Talking about strikes right now makes Romney sound like a petulant child or worse Netanyahu.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Mr. RightMr. Right Senior Member Posts: 535 Senior Member
    This article is telling, and it comes from a source that is hardly right wing.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/ballot-2012/2012/05/29/poll-veterans-overwhelmingly-support-romney-over-obama

I've spent a lot of time with young veterans of the post 9/11 wars in recent years. Gotta say, the vast majority of them really do not like Obama. And that is putting it mildly.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Iran is so far away from developing enough fissionable material to make a bomb, that we cannot even be certain the current regime will even be in power when it happens. Talking about strikes right now makes Romney sound like a petulant child or worse Netanyahu.

Do you make this stuff up, or do you have a source for making this stuff up? You might want to read Richard Rhodes' The Twilight of the Bombs, about proliferation post Cold War.
  • Colston NewtonColston Newton Junior Member Posts: 25 Junior Member
    magalloway wrote: »
    My hoped-for (but probably ill-stated) point exactly.

Colston, that your children serve/served in the military is honorable, but let me ask you this: Do you wish to see any of them dead, maimed, or psychologically incapacitated because of another "Penney War" in another sun-baked hellhole that desperately needs to be brought Democracy? After Iraq and Afghanistan, I'd think someone would get the idea that we're dealing with Swift's scientists, dogs, and air-pumps again.

Jim

Of course not and I still believe Iraq was uncalled for and unnecessary and that once we knew Bin Laden wasn't in Afghanistan we had no business there.
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    Do you make this stuff up, or do you have a source for making this stuff up? You might want to read Richard Rhodes' The Twilight of the Bombs, about proliferation post Cold War.

Actually no I am not making this stuff up. There was a documentary where they were discussing the type of nuclear devices, the difference between a uranium bomb and a plutonium bomb. They discussed the amount of material necessary, the number of centrifuges that Iran is believed to have and the amount of time it would take them to make enough material even if conditions were perfect and they estimated they were at least 6 years away from making a bomb. That is if they were to have a successful first attempt. In fact I believe that there was a NIE that was released during President Bush's term, that was quickly ignored because it was not scary enough, that they were 6 to 10 years away.

Apparently it is not very easy to make this stuff and Stuxnet may have actually set them back by a couple of years.

Okay apparently there is newer and conflicting information from what I earlier stated.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/12/us-nuclear-iran-uranium-idUSTRE80B0QI20120112
    Having switched production of higher-grade enriched uranium to a new, underground site, Iran is now just a year or so away from having enough such material for a nuclear bomb, a former head of U.N. nuclear inspections said.

However, Olli Heinonen wrote in an article published on Thursday that building a stock of some 250 kg of 20-percent enriched uranium - a form that could within weeks be further purified to the 90-percent weapons grade - did not automatically mean Iran could deploy a bomb without further engineering work.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Well, good on you for your homework. You're right, its ridiculously difficult to get from uranium enrichment, or plutonium production, to an actual deliverable device that will yield, or burn correctly. Unless Iran has outside help from Pakistan's Khan, N. Korea, the French, the Russians or the Chinese, and that is a lot of possibilities.

In Rhoade's book, he relates first hand stories of international inspectors who couldn't identify Iraq's machines for uranium enrichment (calutrons) because they were obsolete and none of the inspectors with weapons experience had ever seen one. It took a retired weapons designer from the Manhattan project to tell the inspectors what those machines were meant for. The book is also helpful in showing that countries that have done extensive testing to perfect a deliverable device could assist a rouge state like Iran to shortcut their research.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    Mr. Right wrote: »
    This article is telling, and it comes from a source that is hardly right wing.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/ballot-2012/2012/05/29/poll-veterans-overwhelmingly-support-romney-over-obama

I've spent a lot of time with young veterans of the post 9/11 wars in recent years. Gotta say, the vast majority of them really do not like Obama. And that is putting it mildly.

It's true that men tend to favor republicans. Men also are often suckers for p---y, don't pay attention to current events, often ignore their families, and act like total **** at sporting events. Also, having been there, I know the military brass do a good job of brainwashing them politically before they get out.

I think the democrats have been stronger supporters of wages and benefits for enlisted and vets over the years. I remember GWB trying to short-change the VA hospitals budget after so many more injured started coming back from Iraq.
    Don't forget McCain voting against extending the GI Bill.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.