Car Boot Sales

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,149 Senior Member
I was talking to a guy from the UK yesterday afternoon. He mentioned "Car boot sales." Language is an interesting thing.

Can anyone here guess what that means? I know, no looking the phrase up, take a guess. I am thinking only George may know.
I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    Snow tires?
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Add-on trunks?
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    The boot as I understand it refers to the trunk, but I don't understand "boot sales"
    and they call the hood "the bonnet".
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    yatahey wrote: »
    The boot as I understand it refers to the trunk, but I don't understand "boot sales"
    and they call the hood "the bonnet".

Pretty good. A "car boot sale" is where people bring their cars and sell out of their trunks (boots). It's like a bunch of garage sales lined up. Makes sense to me, that saves all that set-up time and labor that is involved in a flea market (the Brits I guess say "Flee market"). They don't have garage sales. If you put up a sign stating "Garage Sale" they would think that you were selling a garage. "Literalists" I guess. Language and slang is pretty interesting.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Oh, like a truck farm.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    Oh, like a truck farm.

oh my god that was funny on a number of levels. nice work.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,967 Senior Member
    Not trunk or boot. Mom called them turtle decks.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    Pretty good. A "car boot sale" is where people bring their cars and sell out of their trunks (boots). It's like a bunch of garage sales lined up. Makes sense to me, that saves all that set-up time and labor that is involved in a flea market (the Brits I guess say "Flee market"). They don't have garage sales. If you put up a sign stating "Garage Sale" they would think that you were selling a garage. "Literalists" I guess. Language and slang is pretty interesting.

Oh. Like a Saturday Night Special and home entertainment system sale in the ghetto. Wanna buy a watch?
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,873 Senior Member
    Car boot sales also are found in South Africa and probably places like Australia and New Zealand - middle class societies where British usage applies.

Here in my part of PA they are "Yard sales", except ones held on farms in early Spring. Those are "Mud sales". In CT they were called "Tag sales" because everything had a little tag on it with the price. I wonder what they are called in various parts of Canada?

A loppemarked in Norway and Sweden is where parents buy and sell (mostly) the expensive snow suits and skis the children have outgrown since the year before. Even the Royal family did it in Norway, it made for a nice "gee, ain't we an egalitarian country" spot on the evening news each year.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.