Macro Photography

rvrwaderrvrwader MemberPosts: 42 Member
Any hints on taking pictures of flies? It seems every minor flaw is magnified when you take macro pictures. Then when I go back and look at the fly I took the picture of I dont see the flaws... Not perfect but not as bad as they look in the pictures LOL
Well, I aint always right but I've never been wrong.....

http://rvrwader.blogspot.com

Replies

• ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    This is just a real duffer's opinion; there's plenty of excellent photographers on this site who can help:
    I take a few pics from slightly different angles then rotate the vise a bit for more dorsal and ventral shots. Then I download to the puter and see what I have; if I take 10 shots, at least one usually looks okay (the great thing about digital cameras is no one needs to see the rejects, just drag them to the trash can). I'm only using a basic Canon p&s that has an apparently decent macro, my Ott flytying light and another clamp-on light. If your flies still look ragged, tie up a couple dozen and try again, or Photoshop the hell out of the pics.
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    What ScottP says.

I use a Pentax optio w30 for most of my macro shots. A backdrop of cloth or paper, or leaf, prevents the camera from focusing to infinity beyond the subject/fly. Dropping EV down helps, too. Use image processing program to bring out what the camera collected - not to create something that is not there. A dSLR with micro lens works wonders, too!

I never worry about how the fly looks. I just tye 'em and use 'em. For trout, ugly works. When you dress a fly, do so under magnification, even with large-ish streamers and things like w____y b____rs. You will amaze yourself about how controlled and tidy your tying is!

20120301_28_2_750x537_.jpg

16152AuburnJuni_paraloop_emerger.jpg
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    Don, I see a flaw in the bottom fly, 23rd barb, far side. Think you're also off on fourth wrap of bod material up from bend. See a bump there before step up. Tip of vise seems worn, too.
  • Don NewtonDon Newton Senior Member Posts: 431 Senior Member
    'Kuni, stick it. You're jealous.

And you **** straight my vicse tip is worn. My Baccaruda doesn't sit around for show.
  • swiperswiper Senior Member Posts: 396 Senior Member
    Nice stuff Don!
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,816 Senior Member
    Ask P.Dieter about his fly photography setup.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    RIP Bob Quigley.

Rough thing got fished for eight hours last Sunday, trout and branches, durable snowshow instead of deer -- but all Bob Quigley-inspired. BTW, my fly photography is basic one light and mirror below for bounce with a point-and-shoot Olympus. Hope one day to go more pro about it.

[IMG][/img]fly12sa25quig.jpg
    Don, see your caddis and raise you a handful of shucks. BTW, ever see shucks in circular grouping? I haven't.

This is my Jonestown shot.

[IMG][/img]flyef6-12stoneclus.jpg
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,718 Senior Member
    I'm no photog expert, but it seems the auto settings in my point and shoot seem to work well...

UPClave009.jpg

UPClave013.jpg

PR6-3-201013.jpg

PR6-3-201023.jpg

PR4-11-2010002.jpg

PR6-16-09016.jpg
  • ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    Joe,

Nice pics. Is the last one a brown drake?

Regards,
    Scott
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,718 Senior Member
    ScottP wrote: »
    Joe,

Nice pics. Is the last one a brown drake?

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks.

Yes it is a brown drake. Here is a male hex from earlier this month...

PRDrake6-5-122.jpg

PRDrake6-5-1211.jpg

PRDrake6-5-128.jpg
    Nice Joe, big flies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.