How many fly boxes

rvrwaderrvrwader MemberPosts: 42 Member
OK stupid question... How many fly boxes do you carry when you are fishing? I'm more interested in how many you carry when you are wading. When in a boat you can carry a lot but when wading you are limited. I used to carry two large foam lined boxes and two smaller boxes. One for caddis flies and one for mayflies. The smaller boxes were for attractors and the other for terresterials. Am I crazy for carrying so many boxes?
Well, I aint always right but I've never been wrong.....

http://rvrwader.blogspot.com

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Three or four, usually, slung over my shoulder. That's two C&F's, a scientific angler 216 flybox, and a Cliff's day's worth.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    One with dries from size #8 to #22 (seasonal), one large nymph box size #18 and up, two midge boxes for size #20 and under. Sometimes I'll bring along a second rod for streamers and a related box.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Two dry, one nymph,one terrestrial when wading. The sky's the limit in a boat. Time of year makes a difference.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I carry two big ones, maybe 150 total. But I always end of fishing the same half dozen fly patterns! Go figure!
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Crazy? I dunno, guess it depends on the size of your pockets. A trout day trip, usually one box (which held 196 flies last time I counted) with 50 nymphs or so, 20-30 drys, 20-30 soft hackles, maybe 20 regular streamers and a dozen or so beadhead buggers. Pike may take 2 boxes just cuz the streamers are a lot bigger.
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
  • Longs for CuttsLongs for Cutts Junior Member Posts: 16 Junior Member
    I typically carry 6-10, but everything except streamer and hopper boxes are small. I tend to carry around half general boxes and have boxes for specific hatches.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I like the plastic mylar boxes.

I just did my fannie pack for my first trip later this month.

I have two 15 compartment boxes (nymphs, caddis) and five 9 compartment boxes (BWOs, Hendricksons, general Wets, general Midges, attractors). Later in the season, I'll add a 15 compartment box for terrestrials. I'll lose the box of wets after the early season and swap the Hendrickson box with another nine compartment box for whatever mayfly activity might be going on at the time.
  • JLTJLT Senior Member Posts: 484 Senior Member
    It really depends on the situation. If I'm going to fish a long stretch of river I'll load about everything but the kitchen sink. Right now that consists of a stone fly box, Olives and Sulphur Box, Streamer Box, Caddis Box, and then there are two inserts in my Fishpond vest which equates to a 5th box.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    It depends on what I'm fishing for, what method, and where. For a normal trout fishing trip, my vest has two of the Scientific Anglers System X boxes, one on each side pocket. One box has my go-to patterns that I use all the time like various midges, sowbugs, pheasant tails, prince nymphs, blackfly larvae, soft hackles, etc. The other box has oddities that are handy to have if the conditions are right, like a few parachute adams, a couple "emergency" clousers and wooly buggers, some griffith's gnats, some hoppers, damselfly and cranefly imitations, and stuff like that.

If I'm streamer fishing for trout, I have a Cliff's **** Beast Jr. box that holds most of what I need, with a couple smaller backup boxes that I may or may not bring depending on what's going on. I have another BBJr. with clousers and other shad imitations for white bass, small stripers and skipjack, and what little saltwater fishing I do. I have one box for carp fishing (mostly superbuggers in assorted colors), and a very similar box for smallmouth.

I have a couple other boxes that see rare use, like my largemouth & bluegill box (lots of poppers and some big streamers), a "kitchen sink" box that has stuff I might need to throw into one of the other boxes for a trip, but which I don't need on a day-to-day basis.

bd
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    If I'm hiking for the day with a backpack, there's no limit.
  • jlschumajlschuma Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    Too many :) I have tried to organize and gone back and forth. Now I have a dry box and a wet box. I have also created a box of flies I use. It seems that I am always going for one of 6 or so flies so I have one box with wollybuggers, Adams, caddis, prince and a couple other favorites. I should just pick a "variety pack" and lock the others up so I cannot carry them all the time.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Slit foam is da ****.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.