First Annual Hotspotting Thread

ouzelproouzelpro Senior MemberPosts: 5,361 Senior Member
In honor of Memorial Day weekend, and crowded streams everywhere, mention your favorite secret streams here.

I'll start. I wouldn't mind fishing the bar at the Gallatin gateway.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Raven River

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Milk River, MT.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,897 Senior Member
    Mitchell Slough...

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    As I write this, we are heading toward the Clinch River near Knoxville, pulling a pop-up camper. It's just under a 3 hour drive to the Clinch from my house, but I'm with my wife and kids, which means we've been driving six hours and we aren't there yet.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    And, everyone in Tennessee has beaten you to every campsite.

A couple of months ago, my wife and I traveled to Hawaii to be with my daughter on her birthday and to celebrate her Masters degree. We planned a tour of Maui, and visited online what seemed to be the perfect campsite to stay in the night before a snorkel cruise. The evening that we arrived at the actual site, we discovered what was once an idyllic camp right on the shore was now a permanent habitation for out of work locals and haoles who didn't have money to move back to the mainland. Almost every campsite was taken, there was one set of porta pottys for perhaps 200 folks, and one open air shower behind a thin bamboo screen. Feral cats were raiding unattended tents, or at least marking them; what was once golden sand had unknown brown stains everywhere.
    We walked through the camps and talked with a few of the folks; everyone was overly friendly, happy to see new faces with "means". They volunteered their opinions on topics from talk radio, which of their neighbors had skipped on their camp fees, and might be evicted, thus opening a camp for us, lots of offers of cheap booze, pakalolo, and who knows what else.
    If you've seen the movie The Descendants, you will remember a voice over explaining that Hawaii is like anyplace else, and only a paradise in tourists eyes. It very true these days. Every available public park is occupied by homeless folks at night, very few live off the land or in the jungle, most want to be in an urban setting.
    There was no pained decision amongst our little group. We dug into our wallets, pulled out the credit cards, and checked into a serviceable motel.
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    Milk River, MT.

This is unacceptable.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.