Home The Lodge

miscellaneous pics from yesterday...

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
on the way to Walla Walla to shoot pictures of roller derby last night....

6977810364_a38840a26d_b.jpg
D7K_7874 State Line Wind Farm along US Hwy 12 near Walla Walla, WA by Scott Butner, on Flickr

6977807406_81a9c58548_b.jpg
D7K_7870 State Line Wind Farm along US Hwy 12 near Walla Walla, WA by Scott Butner, on Flickr

on the way home from Spokane, where I photographed my brother's girlfriend in her body building competition
7123873197_44dbe420ab_b.jpg
D7K_7831 Locomotives near Lind, WA by Scott Butner, on Flickr

the winner of the 50 and up men's category in the aforementioned competition. (My quasi-sister-in-law took first place again, btw, for her second competition in two weeks).

6977601844_7632999a89_b.jpg
D7K_7475 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Replies

• TimDTimD Senior Member Posts: 906 Senior Member
    Scott,

Nice photos, I had to re-read the caption as I was expecting a picture of your sister in law. The moustache threw me off.

Cheers,

Tim
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I would post one, but I've been warned away from bikini/etc shots (fair enough) and the outfits that both male and female contestants wear leave very little to the imagination. Only some cropping kept this one from being sort of questionable in terms of PG rating.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,712 Senior Member
    That face deserves a handlebar mustache.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    To my untrained layman's eye, the first one seems like it ought to have less brown and more sky.

Maybe you could just put your especially indecent pics in a special set on Flickr and notify us fans of updates so we can look there without agitating the fuddy duddy moderators.

bd
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,712 Senior Member
    Brian D. wrote: »
    To my untrained layman's eye, the first one seems like it ought to have less brown and more sky.
    That could work too. Splitting the photo horizontally and have the the meeting point of sky and ground 1/3 of the way from the top, and the upper edge of the plowed field 1/3 of the way from the bottom is an example of The Rule of Thirds. A good guideline for compositions but sometimes something different works. Maybe because it isn't expected.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I thought the rule of thirds is that Butner should post 1/3 landscapes and 2/3 hooters.

bd
    FishTX wrote: »
    That could work too. Splitting the photo horizontally and have the the meeting point of sky and ground 1/3 of the way from the top, and the upper edge of the plowed field 1/3 of the way from the bottom is an example of The Rule of Thirds. A good guideline for compositions but sometimes something different works. Maybe because it isn't expected.

I teach the rule of thirds in my photo course, but I also teach "never be afraid to break the rules."

In this specific instance, I liked the foreground. The sky, on the other hand, was muddy and ugly, but I was on my way to a derby bout and didn't have the option of hanging around for an hour to wait out a better sun position.

But I agree that the picture doesn't quite work.
    Brian -- my brother's GF is Debra, she's #40 in the dark blue suit, blonde hair in the 50 and over category. She has won two state-level championships in the past two weeks, now starting to train for a bid at a national title.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,710 Senior Member

I have a question. Do they all get their tans from the same bottle as John Boehner?

...oh, and rules? [thumbing nose]
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Compositional rules are there for a reason, they are rooted in deep cognitive and cultural origins - but they can be a crutch as well as a help. I don't think it hurts at all to be aware of them...but it helps to be willing to bend or break them
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,710 Senior Member
    Of course I agree.

You should have taken my Museum Techniques class. Most of it is pure psychology.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    I don't think it hurts at all to be aware of them...but it helps to be willing to bend or break them

I take the same approach toward the Ten Commandments.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,035 Senior Member
    I'm sure the photographic opportunity was wonderful, but those have to be the least attractive people I've ever seen as a group. Dunno if it's the bronzer, the musculature, the outfits, or the total effect, but to quote Steven, "Meh."
    Yeah. Not my cup of tea. But being close friends with a top competitor, I know what it takes to look like that and have a. Lot of respect for it

I'm a firm believer in "to each their own" and just found this interesting as an observer more than as a photog. One of those things you do for family. :-)
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Scott, I am glad to see you posting more of your landscape photography. Eastern Washington looks pretty with the spring green!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement