Home The Lodge

Italy

going in August

Roma

anyone been?

will be there for a day or two on the front n back and then on to Tuscany late August

any suggestions ... ideas (besides kicking the Holy Father in the junk) let me know

Replies

• ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Sounds hot n' touristy, but hey, its Rome! Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Be sure to get your wallet lifted at one of the fountains, OK?
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,711 Senior Member
    Tie everything down. Rome maybe has maybe the highest percentage of pick pockets on the earth. Get a steel camera strap, they like to run by and cut them off your body. other than that, have fun...then Tuscany, now you are talking Italy! Friends of mine are just returning from visiting family there. And should be moving there in a few years.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    I would just do as the Romans do.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    I wouldn't plan that far ahead. You're going to get murdered in a couple weeks when you go to Memphis, so it really doesn't matter.

bd
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    going in August

Roma

anyone been?

will be there for a day or two on the front n back and then on to Tuscany late August

any suggestions ... ideas (besides kicking the Holy Father in the junk) let me know

It will be expensive, hot and crowded. Even in an upscale hotel the A/C will run only a few hours a day. Your first decision is where to stay, in the midst of the noise and crowds or in a quieter area with fewer restaurants. We stayed five nights last month at the Lord Byron Hotel in Parioli, NE of the Villa Borghese park. I can recommend it and its restaurant without reservation, especially if you can book at a discounted rate. Having to take taxis was worth it to us for the tranquility. Two other restaurants in the area I can recommend highly are Pagaroma and Ambasciata d'Abruzzo.

Buy a Roma Pass as soon as you arrive. It will save you a little money but more importantly you skip the long lines at the ancient center tourist sites. If you want to see the Vatican Museum and the Borghese Gallery buy tickets on-line in advance. You'll skip the very long lines at the Vatican, and the Borghese often sells out far in advance. The Etruscan Museum at the Villa Giula was a highlight for me. As an aside, the villa was built around 1550 by Pope Julius III to - as the guide books point out - pursue his avid interests in young boys and classical statuary.

Speaking of guidebooks, the Michelin Red Guide is the best for hotels and restaurants, the Michelin Green Guide or DK's Top Ten are the best for sites that I have seen, but Rick Steves' books offer more practical advice.

About crime - Rome is not nearly as bad as Naples, but a little planning will help you avoid trouble. I travel with Cabela's travel shirts with multiple pockets. Cash in one inner pocket, cards and passport in others. Never carry money or a wallet in your pants pockets in crowded tourist areas. A steel camera strap makes sense if you are carrying a large, expensive looking camera. My wife has a small slash-proof sling pack bought, I think, from Travelsmith or a similar website

We took two pocket cameras for a three week trip. I bought a Canon 500HS for this trip and loved it for it's size, 24mm equiv. f2.0 lens and enough manual control for me. Unless you are an avid Photoshopper or want huge enlargements an SLR kit is not worth the trouble of carrying it around in Rome, IMO
    "...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    thanks George

already going to invest in a Pacsafe backpack for my carry on / camera etc

Rome is only going to be a day or so thanks to she-who who has a very good friend we are part of her gal pals pack who have been offered free lodging for the week in Tuscany
  • FlykuniFlykuni Senior Member Posts: 799 Senior Member
    Agree with George, pickpockets are unbelievably skilled -- Roma women (Gypsies, iow) can do you in broad daylight. Distraction game, fanny packs rifled, lost cash and passports, happened to two men in daylight outside Vatican. Other than that it's a great place.
  • TimDTimD Senior Member Posts: 906 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    going in August

Roma

anyone been?

Went for 3 days a couple of years ago we had a full agenda and lots of fun.

We stayed in a bed and breakfast over a bar in Trastevere - it turned out to be our breakfast spot. Saw all the stuff, twin churches, the colliseum, pantheon, vatican, the list goes on and on. It was like 12 years of grade school history combined with a party. Trastevere was great as it was walking distance to everything and full of good restaurants.

If you run into the pope please say "Tim says thanks for the wine." He'll know what you mean ;-)

Cheers,

Tim

PS. I agree with George on the Roma pass.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Do the Italians still think it's rude to carry bottled water?
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Only if you use it to wash your armpits.

bd
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Learn some Soccer phrases so you blend in.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement