Home The Lodge

Maybe I missed the discussion? Marine discharged for Facebook...

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 5,843 Senior Member
Never been in the military, but when I first heard about this, I didn't think it would go well. Regardless of who the President it, seems he violated the rules. But by the same token, I've never fallen into the "he's not MY President" camp.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/25/11394219-marine-who-criticized-president-obama-on-facebook-to-be-discharged?lite

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,039 Senior Member
    Stein's lawyers say the Marine Corps is trying to "railroad a good Marine out of the Corps" for expressing his First Amendment rights.

Oh really?
    Another document brought forward in an earlier proceeding revealed that Stein posted on a Marine meteorology and oceanographic Facebook page March 23, "As an active Marine I say, 'Screw Obama' and I will not follow orders from him."

I don't think you can say that you would not follow orders of your CIC and then say you are a good marine.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,843 Senior Member
    I believe he also encouraged others to follow his lead. That's mutinous behavior, no?
    I would think.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,159 Senior Member
    He is lucky that all they are doing is cashiering him. There is no way he can claim 1st Amendment rights while on active duty. I have read speculation that he did this hoping to be discharged, but the "other than honorable" would bring a lot of rain down on that parade.
    "...this low-rent Lear raging on his Twitter-heath has proven that the phrase malignant buffoon is not an oxymoron..."

George Will
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 5,843 Senior Member
    Wonder if he'll be competing with Hannity or Limbaugh in a year or so?
    George K wrote: »
    He is lucky that all they are doing is cashiering him. There is no way he can claim 1st Amendment rights while on active duty. I have read speculation that he did this hoping to be discharged, but the "other than honorable" would bring a lot of rain down on that parade.

He could probably get that upgraded in a year or two.

He has first amendment rights as long as he keeps is enlistment status out of it and he is not being insubordinate to his superiors. Which he clearly violated both.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Wonder if he'll be competing with Hannity or Limbaugh in a year or so?

they'll herald him as a hero during the news cycle for ratings but never accept him as an equal
    The real issue here isn't his First Amendment rights or that he's a Marine.

He badmouthed his boss and got fired. Serves him right for not belonging to a union.
  • SaraSara Senior Member Posts: 512 Senior Member
    I remember being surprised that my father could vote. But he was not allowed to campaign etc. The President is the Commander in Chief. You better not criticize the big boss when national security may be at risk.
    I know of several "union" members who have paid the price of criticizing PUBLICLY the big boss. And we don't have much to do with national security.
    They should have hired Pio.
    Steven, part of enlisting is giving away some first amendment rights. You can not be partisan in public and carry out your duties despite the party in charge. I NEVER saw my parents actively involved in party politics. Dad was career Navy. My mom supported him. Mom was also Navy before I was born.
    Personally, our military has to support the President. I did not approve of the invasion of Iraq a civilian. But people in the military have to follow orders UNLESS they are in direct opposition of the Geneva Convention. (I think) You enlist, you follow the Commander in Chief. Fair or unfair. it is part of the job.
    It was a joke Sarah. Kind of a reference to a past post about people wearing orange shirts.

Whatever the military rules, I would argue that getting fired for bad mouthing your boss - no matter what your job - isn't a limitation on free speech.
    Sara wrote: »
    Steven, part of enlisting is giving away some first amendment rights. You can not be partisan in public and carry out your duties despite the party in charge. I NEVER saw my parents actively involved in party politics. Dad was career Navy. My mom supported him. Mom was also Navy before I was born.

You can be as partisan as you want in public. Just so long as you are not wearing your uniform or suggesting that you are speaking for the military.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement