Vest, Fanny/Chest pack Other?

ricinusricinus Senior MemberPosts: 6,214 Senior Member
My vest is starting to get a little tattered and due for a replacement. Before getting another, I was wondering about people's thoughts on the other options.

Mike
My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...

Replies

• bakerloobakerloo Banned Posts: 980 Senior Member
    Orvis sling pack. I love mine.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory."
    Aldo Leopold
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Man purse.
  • ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    I wondered about chest packs blocking my vision while wading; I always have to rotate my stripping basket to the stern while walking jetties and figure the chest pack could cause similar issues. Of course, with all the sh.t I put in my vest (stuff I ABSOLUTELY have to have like 2 extra boxes of caddis flies even when I'm fishing a local freestoner in mid-Feb and probably won't even see a midge on top) it's probably not much different; guess that's why I'm always falling in holes I don't see.
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    I've tried some other options, but I went back to a vest. It's not as comfortable on a really hot, humid day, but it's nice to be able to carry whatever fly boxes and accessories I want without having to worry about where to fit it.

bd
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    Good point about the chest pack and wading. I emptied out my vest and I think the only way to carry all this stuff is another vest, unless I really houseclean. Unbelieveable the stuff I carry.

Mike
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 9,288 Senior Member
    Cabalas sells a chest pack for $30 that I occasionally use.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
    I went to a chest/pack setup a few years ago and love it. Mine is made by Mongo but there are others out there like this one. The front pockets are horozontal and are low enough that they do not 'get in my face' or obstruct my downward vision (I fall into invisible holes now again also). I like this one because it can hold a lot like a vest but is easier on my shoulders and is a bit cooler than a traditional vest. For some of my 'travel trips' I have a Patagonia Vest/Pack (1990's vintage) that I will use.
    http://www.mongoproducts.com/fishing.html
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    I started with a vest. I bought a William Joseph Amp chest pack a couple years ago and found on long days the neck strap bothered my neck. Then I went to a fanny pack and found my stuff getting wet when I waded in over my waist. Now I'm back to my vest. Plenty of room though it does get a little warm on hot days. Best option is a sherpa or roadie.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    I wear a fanny pack that I bought from the Cabelas' hunting section. Holds everything I ever carried in my vest BUT a wading jacket in case I need it and I can't carry a net.

The completely filled vest hurt my back and shoulders something awful. If I need to carry a wading jacket, I'll wear my now empty vest and put the jacket in the back pocket.

I've been told the fanny pack makes my butt look big, but I don't dress for Brian.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 5,616 Senior Member
    Mike,
    I switched to a Fish Pond brand chest pack about 3 or 4 years ago. I like it a lot. I have not noticed any problems with vision while wading. Unless you are staring at your knees it won't be a problem.
    I also tend to carry waaaaaaay too much stuff and that was my biggest concern when switching to a chest pack system. However, it is so much more comfotable to wear vs. a vest in the heat. Turns out that I still carry way too much stuff but I had to compromise and leave some stuff behind. No big deal, I'm comfortable with the contents now. It would be better if I could carry one less fly box but it usually doesn't work that way. I carry two larger and one of the smaller C&F boxes.
    When you try them on at the store find something heavy to stuff into it. When picking my chest pack out I found that some were more comfortable than others, especially the neck strap.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Experimenting with one of those collapsible lunch carriers, Certainly carries all I need, but the darn zippers are hassles, will probably go back to the vest b4 long.
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
  • DWTDWT Senior Member Posts: 270 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    My vest is starting to get a little tattered and due for a replacement. Before getting another, I was wondering about people's thoughts on the other options.

Mike
    I used a vest for years then switched to a fanny pack. It had a lot of advantages but I didn't like it when the fly line would hang up on it. I got an Orvis sling pack for Christmas and have used it several times. I love it. It forces me to carry less and it sits in a position that is out of the way but very accessable. I doubt I will ever use anything but this from now on.
    It will either be the sling or a new vest. Probably a vest cause of all the junk I carry. Sure are a lot of options out there.

Thanks for the ideas,
    Mike
  • jlschumajlschuma Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    I went from a vest to chest pack and then fanny pack. I have now gone back to a vest. I just want to carry too much :)
  • Tim MurphyTim Murphy Member Posts: 84 Member
    ScottP wrote: »
    I wondered about chest packs blocking my vision while wading; I always have to rotate my stripping basket to the stern while walking jetties and figure the chest pack could cause similar issues. Of course, with all the sh.t I put in my vest (stuff I ABSOLUTELY have to have like 2 extra boxes of caddis flies even when I'm fishing a local freestoner in mid-Feb and probably won't even see a midge on top) it's probably not much different; guess that's why I'm always falling in holes I don't see.

Dear Scott,

Just get as fat as I am and the chest pack is not a problem. If I fished with one fly wearing nothing but a T-shirt on my upper body my gut would make walking around more interesting than it should be.

I'm a chest pack guy all the way. I quit wearing a vest 20 years ago and haven't looked back. Even if I was lithe and athletic I'd still opt for a chest pack or perhaps the sling pack that I wear when fishing warm water bass and panfish.

VESTS SUCK!

Regards,

Tim Murphy
    Whenever I've looked at chest/fanny packs, lanyards, and other options besides a vest, I've always concluded I'd have to make too many compromises on storage that I'm not willing to make. My vest holds everything I need for pretty much anything I decide to do.

I just wish the bottom pouches were waterproof somehow for when I decide to wade in up to my titties.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,829 Senior Member
    My vests have long since been given away and I have been using chest packs of varying sizes for many years. A few weeks ago I was in an Orvis store, tried out their smaller sling pack and bought it. I really like that it is out of the way until I need it, and that the weight balance (for me at least) makes it more comfortable to wear than a vest or chest pack.

It won't do for those who need or want to carry a lot of stuff, but I only use it for general trout fishing. I have my shad, bass and steelhead kit pared down to where the sling pack is more than I need unless I plan to carry lunch and a day's worth of water as well as gear. Even for trout, if I am just going out for little wild brookies in a mountain creek or fishing the evening hatch or spinner fall I can carry what I need in my pockets or an old chest pack that holds one fly box and has rings to attach nippers, spare tippet and a pen-shaped hook sharpener/hook extractor gizmo.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    I have a teenage valet with numerous piercings to carry my flies.
    In a just world we could all have servants tag along behind us and compliment our casting, not unlike the native gun bearers employed by British aristocracy for their African safaris in the early 1900s.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk 2
  • gatsbygatsby Member Posts: 30 Member
    I can't afford a servant. Like most I have tried many variations. I never had some of the comfort problems others have with a vest. And I sometimes wade deep enough to not like a fanny pack. So I have found the best option is the Fishpond modular vest. You can unclip the chest pack if you are in a boat or close to home and just use it. Or you can use the entire chest/pack and the back part holds the rain jacket and such. In fact, if I am hiking, it also has a water bladder pocket so I don't need to carry a bottle. The only problem I have had with the product is that the front pocket on the chest has a "fly bench" but the foam or whatever it is just doesn't hold the flies securely. So you unzip the bench and there are flies all over the place. I like the idea of the fly bench because you can't drop the box with all your valuable flies. But now I have just removed the foam patch and use a fly box in the front pocket.
  • mdelpmdelp Member Posts: 47 Member
    If it holds flies and boxes, I've probably owned it over the last six decades. My all-time favorite, minus the fact that it gets dunked when I wade a bit too deep because it sits on my hip, is an old Wood River fly bag.....roomy, many compartments, easy to carry and they don't wear out. I had one from years ago, retired it, then found another one which brother Flykuni put me onto a year or so ago.
  • RandyflycasterRandyflycaster Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    I bought a L.L. Bean Sling Pack. It's slightly larger than the Orvis, and has a waist strap for when I'm carrying heavier loads. On the downside, the shoulder strap is very stiff, and when I'm walking and wearing a light shirt, very comfortable; so. I tapes a piece of neopreme onto the strap. That helped.

Randy
  • gatsbygatsby Member Posts: 30 Member
    I bought a L.L. Bean Sling Pack. It's slightly larger than the Orvis, and has a waist strap for when I'm carrying heavier loads. On the downside, the shoulder strap is very stiff, and when I'm walking and wearing a light shirt, very comfortable; so. I tapes a piece of neopreme onto the strap. That helped.

Randy

It is interesting that some like Landon Mayer use the hip pack. As I said I don't like it because I sometimes wade pretty deeply. But Mayer, who is famous around here as a guide on the South Platte and his books such as one about catching the biggest fish of your life, uses the fanny pack because he also carries a very large net with a long handle for very big fish. And it is not a net you can just bungee to the back of a vest. It needs to be inserted into such as a fanny pack.
  • Further NorthFurther North Senior Member Posts: 1,699 Senior Member
    gatsby wrote: »

Randy
    It is interesting that some like Landon Mayer use the hip pack. As I said I don't like it because I sometimes wade pretty deeply. But Mayer, who is famous around here as a guide on the South Platte and his books such as one about catching the biggest fish of your life, uses the fanny pack because he also carries a very large net with a long handle for very big fish. And it is not a net you can just bungee to the back of a vest. It needs to be inserted into such as a fanny pack.

I bought the smaller Orvid Sling Pack and used it all season last year - I like it a lot.

It's got two shortcomings for me: When I'm wading for smallies, pike and musky, it doesn't hold as many of my bigger fly boxes as I'd like it to, and on longer trips, I'd like more room for a sandwich and a snack or three.

My wife and daughter gave me the Orvis Gale Force Sling Pack which I think will fill the bill quite nicely for smallies, and I'll use the smaller one for trout.

The Gale Force Sling Pack is waterproof, so it might be worth looking at for those deeper wading situations.

They also have a "Safe Passage Magnum Sling Pack", which is smaller than the Gale Force and not Waterproof, and while I was checking to make sure I got the right names, I see they have just introduced a new "Guide Sling Pack" which is bigger than the Gale Force.
    "Just because I criticize your argument doesn't mean that I disagree with your position."
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,829 Senior Member
    I just bought an Orvis "Guide Sling Pack" that resolves the carrying capacity issues of the smaller one for when you need to carry large fly boxes, lunch, raingear etc. I like to built-in pouch for a water bottle.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
    I picked up a LL Bean Rucksack, just a good old fashioned one for carrying stuff for the whole day. I'll just park it on the shore when fishing a run...

Mike
  • swiperswiper Senior Member Posts: 395 Senior Member
    DWT wrote: »
    I used a vest for years then switched to a fanny pack. It had a lot of advantages but I didn't like it when the fly line would hang up on it. I got an Orvis sling pack for Christmas and have used it several times. I love it. It forces me to carry less and it sits in a position that is out of the way but very accessable. I doubt I will ever use anything but this from now on.

I gotta take a look at this sling pack.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    mikgaes wrote: »
    I gotta take a look at this sling pack.

I got this one and have used it a few times this year... it's pretty nice, but I do miss the storage I had in my vest:

?510,510,0,,100,2990194289

http://vedavoo.com/shopping/tightlines-sling-pack/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file