Anyone read the story about the hiker being attacked over by Paradise, MT?

DWTDWT Senior MemberPosts: 270 Senior Member
Seems this 69 yr old fellow hikes along the Feather River most days. Well, he is out hiking and comes upon a sow black bear with two cubs. He had seen her several times before and when he spotted her he changed directions to move away from her. About that time he gets attacked by a mountain lion. He tries to fight the lion off him with a pick but it won't get off him. Then, the sow bear attacks the mountain lion and tears the lion off him. The bear shakes it a bit and the lion runs off. The bear then moves off and leaves the fellow alone. The fellow shows some puncture wounds on his arm during the video.

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    for real?

talk about being in the wrong and right place at the same time.....
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • TomTom Senior Member Posts: 253 Senior Member
    California, not Montana, no self respecting mt bear would help a good for nuthin hiker.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/blogs/bghjournal/mama-bear-saves-hiker-mountain-lion
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    I bet he was wearing a hoodie.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    I find it very strange a mountain lion would attack a man, it's my understanding they are usually pretty timid around people, because, I suppose, they are intimidated by the size of an adult human. That a bear would attack a mountain lion doesn't seem odd, just defending its territory from a competing predator.
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
    yeah, I don't think this story is credible.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    The bear would've killed him except then he reached down its throat and cut off its windpipe. Yeah.

Sent from my SPH-M580 using Tapatalk
    flytrap wrote: »
    I find it very strange a mountain lion would attack a man, it's my understanding they are usually pretty timid around people, because, I suppose, they are intimidated by the size of an adult human. That a bear would attack a mountain lion doesn't seem odd, just defending its territory from a competing predator.

Not overly common but does happen...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    I was attacked by a cougar last week.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    yatahey wrote: »
    I was attacked by a cougar last week.

Please don't share the pictures of the claw marks with us...it is a family friendly board.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    A lot of the attacks are by old or injured cougars that are having trouble killing their normal prey. Attacks by young cougars moving into a new territory also happen. The fact that we are continually encroaching on the little wilderness they have left has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    ricinus wrote: »
    A lot of the attacks are by old or injured cougars that are having trouble attracting prey with the usual high heels, short skirt and an over application of lipstick and makeup. The fact that as we age as a population and a reliable source of overly drunk college kids becomes a smaller percentage of the bell curve means younger and younger unsuspecting victims are out there.

Mike

always having to correct these posts for accuracy
    I bow to your obvious superior knowledge on this.

Mike
  • DWTDWT Senior Member Posts: 270 Senior Member
    Tom wrote: »
    California, not Montana, no self respecting mt bear would help a good for nuthin hiker.

http://www.biggamehunt.net/blogs/bghjournal/mama-bear-saves-hiker-mountain-lion

Sorry, you are right. I skimmed over the article and it said Butte and Paradise, so I assumed it was MT.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,382 Senior Member
    Further proof though that Mt Lions are way scarier than bears.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    This wouldn't have happen if he was with a friend who smelled like bacon.

Mike
    Further proof though that Mt Lions are way scarier than bears.

honestly this is true (IMHO)

bears you usually have an idea they are active in the area and see plenty of signs

years ago three of us went on an early season backpacking trip south of Bozeman one spring ... we got up to the snow line to find the trail impassable, as it was late and we were losing light we decided to go back to a lower elevation and camp for the evening and try to find another route the next day

as we backtracked we found in a number of places over our fresh trail even fresher cat tracks as it had crisscrossed over our path just a couple hours before ... none of slept very much that night
    Also you really are not part of the bears food chain.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    uhhh ... ya come to Yellowstone and fish and keep telling yourself that while walking in the tall willows of a watershed
    I always sing Ted Nugent, so the bears think I'm armed and crazy.

Mike
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,865 Senior Member
    ricinus wrote: »
    This wouldn't have happen if he was with a friend who smelled like bacon.

Mike

Wait a minute... you all smell like bacon... Gimmie a toasted back bacon, hold the toast. eh!

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

monkeydoes wrote: »
    uhhh ... ya come to Yellowstone and fish and keep telling yourself that while walking in the tall willows of a watershed

I tell you what, I would rather do that than jog along some of the mountain trails around here.
    Not me, I seldom eat bacon. So nanny-nanny boo boo.

Mike
    Wait a minute... you all smell like bacon... Gimmie a toasted back bacon, hold the toast. eh!
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,865 Senior Member

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

So takeoff eh!

Mike
    Ya hoser.
    I tell you what, I would rather do that than jog along some of the mountain trails around here.

come to Soda Butte and the Lamar next Labor Day

And come across a sign warning of bear attacks dead center in the braids and willow stands. It'll pucker you up.
    Seems to me that the majority of bear attacks involve surprising the bear. Attacks from mountain lions involve the mountain lion surprising you.
    come to Soda Butte and the Lamar next Labor Day

How fast can you do the 40?
    he takes me with him. I cant run for **** I'm too old.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.