Is this legal? Ebay

So have been trying to clean house and sell ****

Just recently I noticed that not only did the Final Value Fees go up 2.5 times but ... they now apply their FVF to your shipping charges

Now those shipping charges are what is charged to ship an item via Fedex or USPS or UPS ... that transaction is between you, the seller, and the shipping company ... NO part of that transaction involves Ebay and even the online processing of revenue is handled by Paypal which I believe is technically not Ebay but part of the same company

so not only are they charging the 9% of the price of the sale but also the cost of shipping and then paypal takes their percentage for processing the transaction (gross revenue meaning shipping in that too)

I'd like to know is it actually legal for them to charge a percentage surcharge on a US Post Office services which they have no interaction with what so ever?

Replies

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    Ya, that whole fleabay, paypal thing simply isn't what it used to be.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,560 Senior Member

Yup.
    Great place to buy, but has become a horrible place to sell.
    I use Craigslist (free) for selling stuff regionally now. Meeting place is always the local Police Station parking lot.... or I'll ship an item if they pay forward.
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Because marriage broke me of the habit of carrying credit cards, I used to buy on E-Bay with cashier's checks, which seemed to work well, of course, then they went to PAY-PAL exclusively so I don't shop there anymore.
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
  • pdawgpdawg Senior Member Posts: 195 Senior Member
    The reason Ebay is doing that is because people were putting a ridiculous low buy it now price then charging huge shipping. "sunburst strat, 9.95 , $250 shipping" The other bad thing is every one is using the cheapest shipping possible, now I got to wait a week ,week and a half to get stuff. I dont see how it could be legal for bay to take a percentage of shipping costs.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    well first off most of those ads are from overseas scam sellers

so if they are going to charge me 9% maybe they should spend some of that money policing their own site

BTW ... USPS priority is usually as cheap as parcel post I rarely have a delivery take more than 2-3 days so if you are waiting weeks maybe you should meet the Pony Express rider somewheres more convenient

:D
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    what sucks is eBay limits how much you can charge to ship certain items and it is always below the actual shipping cost.
    I hate selling there now as I always eat $5-$10 on the shipping.

Swizz nailed it, good place to buy, horrible place to sell.

Meg Whitman, ex CEO of eBay ran for governor of California. She (like all good Republicans) argued that government should be run like a business.
    So I was wondering if she were in fact governor, if she would find ways to keep increasing fees and other revenue (TAXES) just like has happened with eBay over time.
  • swiperswiper Senior Member Posts: 399 Senior Member
    Wow this whole thing is an eye-opener to me. I guess that shows the last time I used E-bay. I stopped after I bought a bamboo rod about 5 years ago and have never opened the box.
    I'll give you twenty bucks for it but you gotta cover shipping!:)
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    I'll give you twenty bucks for it but you gotta cover shipping!:)

I'll give $25.

You have just been outbid for item: Bamboo fly rod
    $25.50

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,233 Senior Member
    swizz wrote: »
    Yup.
    Great place to buy, but has become a horrible place to sell.
    I use Craigslist (free) for selling stuff regionally now. Meeting place is always the local Police Station parking lot.... or I'll ship an item if they pay forward.

Yes and Yes. I use craiglist to sell stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.