New Project----The Lightbox (no, you are safe no pictures)

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,149 Senior Member
I have been experimenting with a white trash version to take "product" pictures. I just used what was around the house. A cardboard box with "windows" on three sides lined in white with plastic over the holes to soften the light. I used a 500 and two 250w halogen shop lights I had just to see what it would do. Of course the halogen light is nasty--kind of a reddish tan. There is no white balance compensation on my D90 for halogen, though I was told that it did.

Adjusting the lights took some doing. I finally found the angles that removed all shadows but a very small thin one at the base of the covered pottery jar. But I was still stuck with the ugly light of course. Anyone ever play with this? What light would you recommend, I expect next I'll try daylight incandescents...and no I can't afford the expensive softboxes. But if anyone wants to donate one of theirs to me, I'll accept it.
I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    this sounds like a job for P Diddy
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,209 Senior Member
    No pictures? I was expecting semi-nudes of tattooed pregnant women.

I'm tweeting your home address, punk.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,149 Senior Member
    He's not white trash.

Thanks for the help S Biddy.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    If you can't set the WB on the camera, then use use levels in your pp software to set it. Most programs with levels have eye droppers for black point, white point and gray/grey. Pick the white eyedropper and put the cursor on the part of the photo you want pure white. Does not have to be on the product if it has no white or the white isn't pure. It probably will be the lightest area inside the box. The photo may be a little bright afterwards. Just drop the exposure next.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    FishTX wrote: »
    If you can't set the WB on the camera, then use use levels in your pp software to set it. Most programs with levels have eye droppers for black point, white point and gray/grey. Pick the white eyedropper and put the cursor on the part of the photo you want pure white. Does have to be on the product if it has no white or the white isn't pure. It probably will be the lightest area inside the box. The photo may be a little bright afterwards. Just drop the exposure next.

I'd prefer to skip that, but I'll play with it and see. One of the problems with the Halogen light is that it changes the color of the object as well. That's the biggest problem I am encountering.

...off to dinner and buying some new bulbs.

Thanks for the suggestions Mike.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 7,914 Senior Member
    When you say you don't have halogen setting, I assume you are talking about a preset for halogen. What about using a cusomt WB. Shoot a white card inside the tent and use the custom WB to tell the camera that the card is supposed to be white. The how-to is on page 100 of the D90 manual.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    I was thinking that, just haven't wanted to do any studying lately. I've been more interested in shooting...and cleaning up my "gardens." I was expecting to do that work in two or three weeks. Now everything is up but the Butterflyweed. Fiddleheads in March!?! It's insane!

Mike, Thank you again...off to do some processing on the last of my rust pictures.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.