Home The Lodge

Should we help the opposition in Syria?

Helicopter gunships now firing on civilians. Troops moving through the streets.

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    We do help the opposition, or at least try to, through sanctions.

We can't get UN cover for anything military given Russian and Chinese intransigence. They didn't care as much about Libya.
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    I certainly feel for the civilians and Resistance fighters getting hammered by the Syrian government. However the picture isn't terribly clear regarding just who the resistance is, is this a democracy movement or something else. Is the resistance organized? Who are they aligned with?

Our history of helping Resistance movements is somewhat mixed, enough so that we need to exercise caution and restraint.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    What would Emerger say? Hmmm...
    What would Ed do?
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Emerger would probably say, "Oh fer Chrissakes, let's keep our damned noses out of this one!" Well, maybe not those exact words.
    greenman wrote: »
    What would Ed do?
    Blame us for warmongering. We'd be encouraging the insurgents which would mean more innocents being killed. OMG, I'm starting to be able to predict him, that's scary.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,524 Senior Member
    Helicopter gunships now firing on civilians. Troops moving through the streets.

Here is the thing. In Libya, the opposition controlled territory, they controlled a port city. How are you going to get weapons to the Syrians? How are you going to provide air support to a resistance movement that is scattered and not under anything that even resembles command and control? Can you even be reasonably sure that you can control the outcome?

It just is not logistically feasible.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • pdawgpdawg Senior Member Posts: 195 Senior Member
    Russia isnt going to agree on anything as they have a navy base there, China is probably looking at whatever resources are available.
    Here is the thing. In Libya, the opposition controlled territory, they controlled a port city. How are you going to get weapons to the Syrians? How are you going to provide air support to a resistance movement that is scattered and not under anything that even resembles command and control? Can you even be reasonably sure that you can control the outcome?

It just is not logistically feasible.

I think the resistance from the US has more to do with who will get these weapons at least that's the debate I've been hearing from talking heads interviewing politicians. Getting weapons in would be a CIA function as I'm sure we have ears on the ground in Syria already but yes getting large amounts of weapons would not be easy. Stingers would be a good weapon of choice but once again we don't know who we would be giving them to.
    I don't know I didn't pull that out of my azzz. That came from an admin official.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    I don't disagree. Maybe air cover as a start. Kinda hard to put up airships when you got drones overhead.
    we first need to find out if they are interested in becoming Christians before deciding ... we are a Christian nation afterall
    I don't disagree. Maybe air cover as a start. Kinda hard to put up airships when you got drones overhead.

How do you provide air support to a riot?
    keep the helicopter gun ships from firing on civilians.
    keep the helicopter gun ships from firing on civilians.

But what if civilians are on BOTH sides of the riot/issue?
    As the GOP would say, MOVE!
    :D Good one. But sometimes armed, or should we say, uniformed services, are backed and/or re-enforced by civilian sympathizers. And sometime as in Libya or Syria dissident troops go over to the other side. Just nuke 'em all and let God sort them out?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement