Home The Lodge

let's talk breastfeeding

TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior MemberPosts: 901 Senior Member
Steven- make sure you fact check this before commenting . . .

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/02/28/pastor-calls-breastfeeding-mom-a-stripper/#.T0170HTTbOc.facebook

A Georgia woman was told to “cover up and go away” when she started breastfeeding her newborn child during a church service. The pastor ordered Nirvana Jennette to feed her baby in the bathroom, and when she objected he told her that breastfeeding is lewd and compared her to a stripper.

BrianD- yes there is a picture of her.

Replies

• what experience with strippers did the pastor base his comparison upon ?
  • monkeydoes wrote: »
    what experience with strippers did the pastor base his comparison upon ?

Its a church for wayward bikers, so he probably has more experience than most.
  • And I should hasten to add. . .

she kinda looks like a stripper.
  • rhumblinerhumbline Senior Member Posts: 154 Senior Member
    Combing your hair or putting on makeup isn't lewd but should you really do it in church? Whatever happened to common courtesy and manners?
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people look smart until you hear them talk.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I think this is a regional or generational thing, or something. Among the fairly feminist leaning, well-educated women that my wife hung out with when our kids were small, public breastfeeding was not just the norm, it was a social statement and a cause. Personally, it's never bothered me (my wife breastfed in public, but very discretely; other of her friends were far less inhibited about it).

I've even had women ask me to photograph them while breast feeding their babies, to add to the memory (mammary?) books along with the newborn pics, maternity pics, etc.

So I think what happened to common courtesy and manners is that they are no longer held in common.

Then again, I haven't gone to church other than for weddings or funerals since I was 8 years old, so what would I know?
  • I think this is a regional or generational thing, or something. Among the fairly feminist leaning, well-educated women that my wife hung out with when our kids were small, public breastfeeding was not just the norm, it was a social statement and a cause.

Yeah, still the same thing. I have an 8-month old, so I have to deal with the boobs coming out in any clime or place, anytime and anywhere.

Honestly though, if this is your cause du jour, join the peace corps or something, because you definitely have first world problems.
    ...public breastfeeding was ...a social statement and a cause.

So I think what happened to common courtesy and manners is that they are no longer held in common.

These statements are contradictory. The fact that one knows the action will be offensive is what makes it a statement.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people look smart until you hear them talk.
    nobody said anything about "knowing it would be offensive"

Rather, breastfeeding was/is seen to be something to be encouraged (which makes all sorts of sense from a health standpoint, and for poor women, economically); part of that encouragement is to model the behavior you want to see in the world.

Personally, I really can't understand why anyone would be offended by it.
  • P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    rhumbline wrote: »
    These statements are contradictory. The fact that one knows the action will be offensive is what makes it a statement.

offensive to bigots doesn't count.

Sometimes though it is reassuring that I have lived long enough to see backlash to the civil rights and equal rights movement of my childhood.
    sherb wrote: »
    I have to deal with the boobs coming out in any clime or place, anytime and anywhere.

YOU have to deal with it?

Now THAT's a devoted father!

Not to mention a biological anomaly.
    If no one thinks anything about it, whatever "it" is, it's not much of a statement, is it?

It's like making a statement by putting your arm on the back of the pew. If the seat next to you is empty, so what? If the preacher's hot, 18 year-old daughter is sitting there with your arm now around her - brother, you made a statment. Your wife will have a statement of her own when you get home.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,811 Senior Member
    Total non issue. Let her go to a church where the preacher isn't so repressed that seeing a woman feeding her baby does not cause him to stand out in front of the congregation. It is clearly a church filled with morons anyway.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • marialactansunsorted5.jpg

I'm guessing an image like this isn't hanging in the church.
  • Steven- make sure you fact check this before commenting . . .

http://blog.sfgate.com/sfmoms/2012/02/28/pastor-calls-breastfeeding-mom-a-stripper/#.T0170HTTbOc.facebook

A Georgia woman was told to “cover up and go away” when she started breastfeeding her newborn child during a church service. The pastor ordered Nirvana Jennette to feed her baby in the bathroom, and when she objected he told her that breastfeeding is lewd and compared her to a stripper.

BrianD- yes there is a picture of her.

Do bikers "make it rain" harder than fake rich guys in Newport Beach?

• Now THAT's a devoted father!

I agree. Its hard work sometimes, but I'm doing ok.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    YOU have to deal with it?

Now THAT's a devoted father!

Not to mention a biological anomaly.

Now you guys know why I have such a man-crush. Sherbie's got a nice set of A cups. You can push 'em together and they almost touch.
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,034 Senior Member
    The pastor is a repressed fundie; maybe she should have just let the baby cry during the service. Cindy the Retired Lady was/is an ardent breastfeeding advocate and was a local La Leche League Grand Poobah back in the 80's. It wasn't uncommon for me to walk down the stairs in the morning (I was working from 8 pm to 4am much of the time) to find a dozen or so actively breastfeeding mommies sitting in the living room; protocol was to smile, say hello, and get the hell out of there because the hormone levels in the house at that point would be through the roof.

Jim
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    When the DIL asked if it was okay to breast feed the granddaughter I told her sure, I'd go outside for a smoke. If it's discreet I can't see a problem with a natural biological function. If, OTOH, a gal wants to hang her boobs out in public when the baby has no desire for lunch, that could be upsetting. I guess it all depends on circumstances.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    And Jesus said from on high, "put that teat away."

- John 3:16
  • fishnbanjofishnbanjo Senior Member Posts: 240 Senior Member
    Both you and your DIL showed class!
    flytrap wrote: »
    When the DIL asked if it was okay to breast feed the granddaughter I told her sure, I'd go outside for a smoke. If it's discreet I can't see a problem with a natural biological function. If, OTOH, a gal wants to hang her boobs out in public when the baby has no desire for lunch, that could be upsetting. I guess it all depends on circumstances.
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 10,586 Senior Member
    I, for one, am in favor of more boobage being shown in public. Only problem is the infants are just so **** stingy.
  • Youre a ginger they never get breast fed
    I think this is also about what you are used to. In some cities it is not uncommon to see a woman breast feeding on a bus or train. I am not offended by it and I do not stare.

But also she was going to church, a event you plan for, you don't think she couldn't pump out a few squirts into a bottle before she left?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,078 Senior Member
    Spitting coffee
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    What lousy journalism. The report doesn't even identify the name or denomination of the church. How am I supposed to know who I'm laughing at?

bd
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    tim_s wrote: »
    426974_2745882926359_1236116659_2067638_2007592185_n.jpg

excellent.
    That is still cracking me up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement