Home The Lodge

Rick Santorum

2»

Replies

• P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    he also elaborated on FTN today and came even closer to exactly Chris' paraphrase. He catches himself and interjects "4 year college"; problem is that obama didn't say that and purposely included all the secondary education options Santorum stammers out.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    You know who else wanted to keep people uneducated?
    [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjbJOSwq3A[/video]

The really stupid part of this video is all the people clapping appear to be of age to collect S.S. and Medicare. Now shouldn't those fools want someone with a college degree who's paying a higher amount of Social Security and Medicare tax as opposed to a person with a minimum wage job? Clap away fools.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    greenman wrote: »
    You know who else wanted to keep people uneducated?

Same guy that was so **** sure of himself, that he thought he could shepherd in the rise and dominance of the aryan race?
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
    Chris watch this one. He doubles down on it again. At the beginning he give credit to education as lifting America to the worlds greatest country then goes against it later on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnbDqsJnJXU&feature=related
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    I'm frightened by anyone who claims to know what is best for everyone, anyone who claims to have all the answers. Santorum is just plain scary and hopefully unelectable.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    I watched him, I considered what he said, and understood I wouldn't be voting for him.
    [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkjbJOSwq3A[/video]

yeah, I don't agree with the sentiment expressed (obviously I have plenty of college under my belt), but I don't think it was either stupid or ignorant on Santorum's part given his intended audience. Cynical, maybe, but not stupid. Santorum has spent a lot of time trying to dig out a niche where Romney doesn't dare to tread: with downscale blue-collar voters. That's all that was. Don't read more into his comments than that.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    IOW, a politician saying anything to get elected.
    flytrap wrote: »
    IOW, a politician saying anything to get elected.

Yeah, I don't think that's Santorum's issue. Quite the opposite, actually.

Not for nothing, Flytrap, but if you want to have a conversation with me, its probably best to avoid the "All politicians are scumbags" routine. It's lazy and its a poor substitute for actually having to think about anything. I don't respond well to that sort of non-argument.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    sherb wrote: »
    yeah, I don't agree with the sentiment expressed (obviously I have plenty of college under my belt), but I don't think it was either stupid or ignorant on Santorum's part given his intended audience. Cynical, maybe, but not stupid. Santorum has spent a lot of time trying to dig out a niche where Romney doesn't dare to tread: with downscale blue-collar voters. That's all that was. Don't read more into his comments than that.

So dishonest then?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,514 Senior Member
    Yeah, I don't think that's Santorum's issue. Quite the opposite, actually.

Not for nothing, Flytrap, but if you want to have a conversation with me, its probably best to avoid the "All politicians are scumbags" routine. It's lazy and its a poor substitute for actually having to think about anything. I don't respond well to that sort of non-argument.

They might not all be congenital liars, but almost all (99 and 44/100ths %) will say whatever they think will win votes, whether or not it is true. Or, as with Ron Paul, deny having said or written something that now may be losing them votes, or explaining it away as with Romney and Santorum. Were the Dems in primary mode it would be the same with them.

This is how it is with politics, alas, whether we like it or not.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    So dishonest then?

no. You missed the point.
    too many people going to college

too many people voting

women thinking for themselves

it's what marked the turning point and downfall of America
    no. You missed the point.

I think you missed mine. There are only two possibilities. Either he believes it to be true or he is deliberately lying to exploit their fears.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    Sherb, I also find it interesting that this all comes from a COMPLETE misstatement on Santorum's part concerning what the president actually said. I heard Obama say "secondary education" which Ricky paraphrased as "College" and he then goes on to complain that Obama snubbed the broader scope of secondary education.

you really have to go with either liar or idiot at that point don't you think?
    George K wrote: »
    They might not all be congenital liars, but almost all (99 and 44/100ths %) will say whatever they think will win votes, whether or not it is true. Or, as with Ron Paul, deny having said or written something that now may be losing them votes, or explaining it away as with Romney and Santorum. Were the Dems in primary mode it would be the same with them.

This is how it is with politics, alas, whether we like it or not.

Embellishing your record and presenting facts in a light favorable to your POV is expected and only human. Out right lying is another. 99.44% do the former, not the latter. Well at least before this bunch anyway.

It is the difference between saying the President has failed to deliver on his promises and saying he is deliberately trying to destroy the country because he is a terrorist.
    Embellishing your record and presenting facts in a light favorable to your POV is expected and only human. Out right lying is another. 99.44% do the former, not the latter. Well at least before this bunch anyway.

It is the difference between saying the President has failed to deliver on his promises and saying he is deliberately trying to destroy the country because he is a terrorist.

Some of the current contenders or their flunkies have said (or implied) just that, or that he supports terrorist aims.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    That was the reason for the "Well at least before this bunch anyway."

I think they saw the difference between the way John McCain conducted himself and Sarah Palin. When all they have to do is go on Fox, who is not going to call them on their crap, they figure they can just say anything now.
    The more I think about it, the more politically astute Santorum looks. as Dave weigel said this morning, santorum took a mundane statement about self-improvement, cracked it open and found a culture war nugget. he's got a gift for that.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    ahhh the ever omnipresent 'culture war'

so then we'll just chalk it up to deliberately playing the paranoia card
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    The more I think about it, the more politically astute Santorum looks. as Dave weigel said this morning, santorum took a mundane statement about self-improvement, cracked it open and found a culture war nugget. he's got a gift for that.

Idiot-savant?

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

But is it not dishonest? I mean where does the line come in between seeing a position from your point of view and outright lying?

I am saying that if he knew it to be untrue, he is a fing liar and a cheat.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member

No doubt about it. He's a much more gifted politician than I at first thought. I know a sh#t ton of people who think college grads hold themselves a bit apart. These same people wouldn't think twice about having a beer with a college grad, but in the abstract: college = hoity-toity liberals who want to tell me what to do. (I don't always disagree with them, and I work at a college.)

Santorum's problem (as a politician) is that he won't back down from his failings and his nut-job viewpoints. Just look at the member-of-a-team comment, and his comments on sex.
  • GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    OK, now I know who he's talking to...
    Santorum said the interpretation of the Constitution's freedom of religion provision has been "turned on its head," and offered his own.

"I'm for separation of church and state: The state has no business telling the church what do to,"

Out Bachmanning the Bachmann, if that's possible.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

• HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member

And he did it without the usual political lubrication.
  • seppalaseppala Senior Member Posts: 1,916 Senior Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    And he did it without the usual political lubrication.

It's really amazing how he can slide right into the middle of a heated argument and just work the electorate into a froth.
    For all his supposed authenticity, Rick Santorum is not what he seems. Beneath that sweater vest beats the heart of a calculating and increasingly desperate politician who has gone beyond pandering all the way to shameless demagoguery.

That’s the charitable view. The uncharitable take on Santorum’s incendiary rhetoric is that he actually believes this stuff. Either way, it’s time for Republican voters to end his little electoral adventure and send him back to the cosseted life of a Washington influence-peddler...

...The idea that encouraging young people to go to college is really an attempt to lure them into indoctrination camps, or campuses, would be grossly insulting if it were not so comically paranoid...

...Hypocrisy and illusion are nothing new for Santorum. He plays up his alleged blue-collar roots, contrasting himself with the snooty Romney. But his father, Aldo Santorum, was a clinical psychologist who held graduate degrees, including a Ph.D., and worked for the Veterans Administration. His mother was an administrative nurse...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/rick-santorums-rhetoric-goes-to-the-extreme/2012/02/27/gIQANEYFeR_story.html?hpid=z3
    another one raised on a gubbmint check complainin' 'bout da gubbmint

is it possible he knows he's got no real shot at the Oval Office but took a page from the Newtulganger playbook and now realizes that post this mania splash he'll be on an endless speaker circuit getting $60k a shot preaching to the paranoid? it's a helluva lot easier and more profitable than being POTUS (at least until after you're POTUS) plus you're only preaching to the already converted who will agree with you and feed your ego to new highs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement