Home The Lodge

accidental portrait

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
was doing a shoot with my friend Trisha and needed to check out my lighting before I had her change outfits, and caught this accidental portrait of her looking a little wistful while she waited for me to get my act together.

Ended up being one of my favorite studio shots in a while...

6786257608_6596b701e0_b.jpg
D7K_2837-Edit by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Replies

• WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,967 Senior Member
    This is one I like.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Are those studs, or moles?
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Those are dermal implants. She's got 7 of them, I think.

Wetdog - an example of high tech lighting - the main light is a $35 garage sale strobe with a toilet paper tube duct taped to it as a snoot. :-)
  • MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,255 Senior Member
    Would love to see them but I haven't been able to see anything posted on Flickr in months. Someone in our IT dept decided to block that site!!!!!
    it was blocked at our office as well, until I managed to get a firewall exception for it -- quite a few of our communications staff use my Flickr archive (especially the regional landscapes and industrial/ag shots) as another source of images for posters, powerpoint presentations, etc....when they stopped being able to access them we were able to convince the powers that be that it was work appropriate. In many cases, IT groups source their firewall solutions commercially and just accept the default set of rules for what is allowed to be accessed by staff, but can make changes to those rules if a case can be made for why it's beneficial to the organization.
    I like the bodyscapes too.
    yeah, Trisha is my "go-to" model for that sort of thing. She always comes up with interesting ideas and is very comfortable without her clothes on -- a lot more comfortable than I am working with a nude model, which is still a little bit of a challenge for me -- I'm always trying to rush through the session to get them back into their clothes.

we have a very cool pinup session planned for next week. Definitely not Lodge-appropriate.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,564 Senior Member
    I'm always trying to rush through the session to get them back into their clothes.

No heat in the basement?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    The less heat the better....for a number of reasons.
    Do you have a goose pimple fetish?
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    actually, the basement DOES tend to be a little cold, I use a space heater to take the chill off. Usually, the parts that respond to cold aren't showing, anyway. Though photoshopping goose bumps is no fun at all.

it's more a matter of ME not wanting to make the model feel vulnerable, or exposed, etc -- I have a good reputation for putting people at ease compared to the other photographers in the area who do pinup and glamour stuff, and I think part of it is that I dont' ever take for granted that being naked or mostly so, with a relative stranger in an unfamiliar location, is a pretty vulnerable position to find yourself in, no matter how uninhibited you are. So I do all I can to mitigate that -- have robes for them to wear between lighting changes, I always ask permission and explain what I'm doing when I have to step on "their" side of the studio to fix a light, and i have a very strict "hands off" policy -- won't even adjust their hair for them unless it's a model I've worked with several times before.

It may sound like overkill, but it helps preserve their modesty, and mine, and all of the models who I work with comment on how much more comfortable they are in our sessions than they are with some of the other photographers in the region. I think that comfort level sometimes shows in the photos, too, which is a bonus.
    Actually instead of overkill, that actually sounds very professional.

What I like most about your model work is how free the models are to express themselves. This is because you are not a perv and you are doing this for purely artistic reasons. You said your wife helps too from time to time as I recall. That has got to add a comfort level also.
    Laura rarely comes down into the studio because the stairs are tough on her arthritis, but she always greets my models and sometimes helps with hair or fashion accessories. And yes, her presence helps put people at ease

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement