Home The Lodge

Your Daily Dose Of Santorum

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 11,514 Senior Member
February 26th

Presidential candidate Rick Santorum said Sunday that the notion of religion not playing role in politics “makes me want to throw up."
....The former Pennsylvania senator was referring to John F. Kennedy’s famous 1963 speech that argued religion should be separate from politics.

"I don't believe in an America where the separation between church and state is absolute," he said.
The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Replies

• yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Taliban Rick....lalalalalalalalalala
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    only atheists are allowed in the public square
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    So he is the Catholic that all those Protestants were so afraid of in 1960.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    Is "the public square" part of that JFK speech? Because if he didn't pull it from that text it made no sense. I understand what he trying to say about objecting to the absolute nature of the discussion but he sure doesn't articulate it for people outside of his base.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    Of friggin course someone's religion is going to color their political philosophy to some extent, the scary part is if they base their philosophy totally on their religion.
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,514 Senior Member
    There is a huge difference between separation of church and state and having one's beliefs influence one's opinions.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement