Home The Lodge

The Real Reason for Surging Gas Prices:

ouzelproouzelpro Senior MemberPosts: 5,361 Senior Member

Replies

• JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    Kochsukkers

but it was a nice apology
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,494 Senior Member
    Good article. I had forgotten about the difference in price between North Sea and Texas crude.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    so US gas prices are high because we are exporting oil and shut down a couple of our own refineries due to low demand?
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,541 Senior Member
    The sky is blue, water is wet, and gas prices go up. It does not matter who is in office because for 50 years we have not had a comprehensive energy policy. Everyone promises to lower prices and no one has yet to deliver.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I don't dispute the need for a sound energy policy -- I've been beating that drum for 30 years and to no avail -- but I think that spikes in gas prices are pretty much unavoidable in terms of anything that the US can do unilaterally. Speculation, futures markets, geopolitical unrest.....all have as much or more to do with prices than simple supply and demand.

'lest we forget....

EMM_EPM0U_PTE_NUS_DPGw.jpg
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,494 Senior Member
    After the oil crises and gas price spikes of the 1970s and 1980s I resolved never again to buy a gas guzzler. I have not owned a six cylinder vehicle since my 1979 Ford Fairmont, and that got decent mileage. My last two cars - a 2000 VW Passat and a 2006 SAAB 9-5 - both are mid-size wagons with four cylinder turbo motors that can carry as much as or more that a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer, seat five adults comfortably and average 25+ mpg overall and 30+ on the highway. Neither is slow; the SAAB 9-5 is quicker 30-90 mph than a same year Porsche 911 and will do over 150 mph (it has no governor).

I understand that some people need a truck for work or projects, but most do not. The bulk of the pick-ups and big SUVs I see are one person commuter vehicles or "moms' taxis" that go off-road only when they have to park on a lawn.

Each time gas gets expensive people run out and buy efficient cars, then when prices go down they go back to big gas hogs then moan and whine when gas goes up again. I'm sorry, but I am running out of patience with complaints based on this sort of behavior.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    I have a nice V-6 gas guzzling RAM pickup that I might pit 100-200 miles on in a busy week, but when I need it, I NEED IT, as today when I used it to pull a tree over so it wouldn't fall into the house when I cut it down. I usually drive a 2002 V-6 Buick that gets between 25-30 mpg, but is unsuitable for hauling wood.

I expect gas to go down this year towards the end of summer, elections coming up, you know.
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    We could nationalize (socialize!) our petroleum industry to control pricing and keep it cheap, but that would require government intervention of the market, and no one wants that . . .

btw, paid $4.35/gal for 87 octane today in SoCal.

Remember we have a 35.3 cent/gallon state sales tax on gasoline (on top of the 18 cent federal tax).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement