new knees

desertroutdesertrout Junior MemberPosts: 3 Junior Member
I've had my left knee replaced, will have the right one done soon. I like to wet wade a lot, am wondering about heigntened sensation to cold with my new metal and plastic knees. Any one had to deal with this?

Replies

• I'd guess maybe when it's new. Did you wet wade last year with the new knee? Ask you Doctor.
  • hey, something else to look forward to.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I hope you didn't get the Simms knees. They are a bit overpriced.
  • desertroutdesertrout Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    No, settled for Hodgman. But the insert is stll replaceable. Next knee February 28
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    I would THINK the metal components would be more subject to cold or heat than normal bone. That's just speculation. Let us know how this works, my quack doctor was telling me last week I may be looking at a new knee in the not far distant future.
  • Auntie EmAuntie Em Senior Member Posts: 159 Senior Member
    Don't know about knees, but, have had my face rebuilt...right side of jaw was replaced with titanium. Winter was the worst ... felt like knives running through my face. Have since had that replaced with a rib graft. Much more comfortable.
    Would suggest longjohns until your knees get worn in, to provide a bit more substance between you and the water.

Also, don't forget your PFD and a staff when you start wading again!
    Lord ... give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!!
  • desertroutdesertrout Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    I waited a long time to get into the best ortho guy in town. Well worth it. First 2 weeks the worst. Physical terrorists make all the difference, I believe. The PT man said I might only feel any difference after being in the water for 2-3 hours, nothing if I take a break. He also is a fly fisherman. The staff has been a necesity for several years, and adds great stability. I have had 2 years of Synvisc I to hold this off as long as possible. No meniscus left in either knee, so a necessity. Not long now until I will go test them both, relatively speaking.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,166 Senior Member
    This maybe a dumb idea, but could you get a wrap that goes of over the knees and extends a little down the leg and up the thigh. I know the rest of the legs would be bare, but you would keep the knees from getting wet and that could retain a little more warm in that area. Walmart used to carry neoprene compression wraps with a adjustable velcro closure in their exercise section.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.