Diamondback 703/4 graphite fly rod

CrabulaCrabula MemberPosts: 31 Member
I have a Diamondback Classic 7034 (7' 3/4 wt.) 3 piece graphite fly rod that I believe was made by the original Diamondback rod company before Cortland bought the Diamondback rod company. It comes with an aluminum Diamondback rod tube and a rod sock (original I guess). It's all in excellent condition. Does anyone have any idea what this rod would sell for on eBay?

Replies

• nimrodnimrod Senior Member Posts: 756 Senior Member
    I don't know about ebay, but I can tell you that was one fine flyrod. I believe fitted by Leonard. I knew a guide in Bozeman 30 yrs ago who had three in the different sizes. He matched them with Hardy Perfects. I had the pleasure of trying them often. He would use my Orvis superfines I still like to fish.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I have an old Leonard Golden Shadow I believe the blank was made by Diamondback or an English Company. Saw a few on Ebay over the years and they went for a couple of hundred dollars. I would guess yours would be similar.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
    If I remember right the Golden Shadow was a newer sanded version of the same rod. The older Diamondback had a checkered pattern on the blank that was unsanded same as the superfines with the spiral wraps.
    Nice to know, thanks

Mike
    You're welcome...I'm not sure if that Golden Shadow was still part of Leonard. It was pretty fuzzy there towards the end. The shop owner I guided for back then bought the last 40 bamboo leonards from the factory. I picked up two...wish I still had 'em. But, their value became prohibitive to keep them. They went on Ebay. But, I suppose for all practical purposes that older diamondback could be called a Leonard. That may help the price on ebay...
    I bought the Golden Shadow and a Fenwick HMG at liquidators sale of all places. First half decent flyrods I ever bought. Still got them and occasionally fish them.

Mike
    I still have the old grey HMG Fenwick I bought in the early '70's. A good casting rod...it was one of the very first graphites as I recall. An early Winston glass rod I had was as good a casting rod as any and sometimes we are just caught up in newer is better. Glad to see you still fish them...
  • CrabulaCrabula Member Posts: 31 Member
    I decided to sell it and posted the rod on eBay. Sorry to see such a vintage sweet rod go but I just don't use it. I'm getting into glass rods now. Love my Paddock Brown series 7' 3 wt.!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.