furled leaders and slower E-glass rods

CrabulaCrabula MemberPosts: 31 Member
I'd like to get some opinions of which type of leader performs better (better turn over of the fly) with the slower E-glass fly rods, the standard tapered knot less mono leader or a tapered furled leader with tippet, when dry fly fishing for trout ?

Replies

• Auntie EmAuntie Em Senior Member Posts: 159 Senior Member
    With no doubt, the tapered furled leader, and a smidgeon of tippet.
    Lord ... give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!!
  • CrabulaCrabula Member Posts: 31 Member
    Thanks for your reply. That's what I was thinking. It seems to take a little more force to turn over a tapered mono leader than it does a tapered furled leader, using the same rod of course.
    Does anyone else have any opinions about this?
  • dryfliedryflie Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    Only Furled leader uses can reply, we're the only people who have used both types over a long period of time.
    “The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness.” - John Kenneth Galbraith
    Good point dryflie.
  • I haven't used furled leaders in a long time (I've used both mono and thread). I found the knotted mono leaders I tied (maxima chameleon for the butt section, Orvis super strong for the fast taper and tippet) to be preferable.

For pure turnover capability of a dry fly, I'd actually suggest the AirFlo poly leaders.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    The last furled leader I used, I hooked some leaves on my backcast. Gave the line a quick flick to free and ended up with a furled pile of thread resembling spaghetti.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Auntie EmAuntie Em Senior Member Posts: 159 Senior Member
    Mike ... were they knotted or furled? I've 'bout taken out a tree (a small one!) with a hook to the leaves/branch...but I've always wound up with a usable leader after the struggle. The leaders I furl are all one piece of material, no knots along the way. Beautiful things! I've used mono, fluro, 6/0 thread, and 8/0 threads; all have applications ... all fun ... all produce wonderfully!
    Lord ... give me patience, and give it to me RIGHT NOW!!!!!
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I believe it was furled uni-thread from Quigs on Ebay. No knots--at least when I started anyway.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • nimrodnimrod Senior Member Posts: 756 Senior Member
    I'm with Steven on the knotted leaders. Knowing where the taper is in the knots makes them easy to rebuild and they turn over well. Furled leaders seem to pick up water and spook fish on the spring creeks I fish.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.