Saltwater lines in freshwater?

CrabulaCrabula MemberPosts: 31 Member
Has anyone used floating saltwater lines in freshwater for bass etc., and if so how do they compare with a comparable freshwater floating line?

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,294 Senior Member
    I think it would matter more if the line was designed for warm weather or not as to how they would perform. I use my intermediate line in both fresh and salt and have found no performance issues.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • CrabulaCrabula Member Posts: 31 Member
    I want to try a 7 wt. line for throwing large bass bugs to big smallmouth. I can get an SA floating Redfish warm water 7 wt. line dirt cheap. Wondering if it's worth it or if I'm wasting my time.
  • idlerickidlerick Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    The Saltwater lines I assume you're referring to are more properly called Tropical lines. They're much stiffer and designed to work well in 80 & 90 degree air & water temps. In normal "trout" water (50's, 60's) they're like a coiled Slinky. Bass ponds would be somwhere in between, I'd guess, and you'll probably have trouble keeping a Redfish Tropical line untangled.
  • ghostghost Junior Member Posts: 12 Junior Member
    Heat's the issue, like they said. Where are you fishing? What kind of water temps?
    ghost- This summer I'm fishing a river that now has water temps. in the 80's and the air temps. range from middle 80's to middle 90's. Now, in the Fall this will obviously start cooling down.
    FYI. I tried a 7 wt. SA saltwater Redfish line for large bass bugs and it was just too curly even with an air temp in the 80's and a water temp. in the 80's. A comparable SA Bass Bug line was not curly under the same conditions and would shoot much better as a result.
  • lopsangsherpalopsangsherpa Junior Member Posts: 5 Junior Member
    I've used a coldwater redfish line for carp in Colorado. Worked better than the Rio "carp" line that I had for awhile.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.