Extreme Couponing...

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 4,778 Senior Member
Anybody watch this show?

57 bottles of dish soap. 49 bottles of hand soap. 10 bottles of cooking oil. These people are buying extreme amounts, some items just so they can apply the savings to other items.

What is up with it? What do they do with the excess? How much of this stuff goes to waste because of expiring? To me it's just a show that glorifies consumer excess.

Replies

• Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    I dunno, but I sure hate getting behind these chuckleheads in line at the store.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    Excuse me madam, but you need to be in the 300 items or more line.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,778 Senior Member
    Now we just need someone to tell us about technocracy and energy credits.

I miss Ed B.
  • SaraSara Senior Member Posts: 512 Senior Member
    Several donate the extras to food banks. But I agree, you shouldn't go too crazy!
    The episode I watched, they didn't mention donations - which is a good idea. Instead, they just bragged about their storeroom.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    This is something that I would expect Monkey to be into.
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    My wife is one who goes by expiration labels. If a container of yogurt is two days past the due date she throws it out. I had to remind her that yogurt got to be yogurt by going bad. The really funny one was we had a box of Epson Salt. It had been in a closet for years. She asked me if it was still ok to use. It's salt.

Some of the people on that show need to buy less food than more especially the processed stuff they are hoarding in their food bunker. Human chipmunks.
  • SaraSara Senior Member Posts: 512 Senior Member
    That is the biggest problem with coupons; too often they are for processed foods. Some people though are pretty good with how they use them. Me, I load a few on my card and by chance cash in once in a while. I only load coupons for things I actually would buy without the coupon.
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    I saw 5 minutes of this show today and I came away saddened. The people are obsessive compulsives, and sit there on pins and needles while their coupons are scanned and I can't believe how nervous they are if their total doesn't get to zero.
    It's an unhealthy obsession.

on a side note, they are buying products they don't even need and stashing them in an entire room of their house. This show isn't about savings, it's about Obsessive Compulsive behavior.
    My pile is bigger than your pile. Nana, nana, boo, boo.

Extreme-Couponing.png

What she really needs is a coupon to an exercise club.
  • jiLLjiLL Junior Member Posts: 1 Junior Member
    The reality TV has resulted in “extreme couponing turning into a growing trend It's just like normal coupon clipping, but taken to an extreme. Consumers clip an enormous number of coupons and conserve large amounts on large purchases. Retail organizations are taking notice, and they are not amused. There is an increasing backlash against the extreme use of coupons. I found this here: Retail firms begin backlash against extreme couponing.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Jill,

Are you fat?
    I think Jill is a spammer.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Be nice to Jill, guys. I've been missing having an imaginary woman here since Savannah left.

bd
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,004 Senior Member
    Anybody watch this show?

57 bottles of dish soap. 49 bottles of hand soap. 10 bottles of cooking oil. These people are buying extreme amounts, some items just so they can apply the savings to other items.

What is up with it? What do they do with the excess? How much of this stuff goes to waste because of expiring? To me it's just a show that glorifies consumer excess.

If they also had ten rolls of heavy plastic sheeting, twenty very close friends and were into '70s nostalgia they could host a Mazola party.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,260 Senior Member
    She looks like she eats a lot of fried food so that could be only a weeks worth of oil.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    Actually, that women really isn't that big because that picture is actual size.
  • nimrodnimrod Senior Member Posts: 756 Senior Member
    Am I the only one here who finds the members of this board complaining about obsessive compulsive behavior at least a little bit ironic? I need to get my post count up...
    Does anyone have any coupons for Iron Oxide and powedered aluminum? I need to provide base materials for the nexst round of conspiracy theories.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Picking and choosing from the posts so far in this thread, I want the fat girl in the picture, the 10 bottles of cooking oil, and Pio's iron oxide and powdered aluminum. I'm gonna have me a fat girl oil orgy and then when I'm done I'll burn the evidence so you all can't call me a chubby chaser.

bd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.