Blown Away

After a really nice day yesterday today we get a hurricane. Holy crap it is windy here. A little while ago I brought in everything I could from the back yard, the kids sleds, snow shovel, a few of their outside toy trucks, etc...crap was scattered all over.

Well about ten minutes later I hear a big crash...turns out I should have brought in the table. Looks like this summer we will need a new one, but now I have a patio covered in glass...yeehaw! It is so freaking windy right now I am not even going to go try to pick it up.

Replies

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I used to live on the hogback in Golden. The wind was always even stronger there. Days like this were downright dangerous. Once i found the garbage can 3 blocks away!
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 9,154 Senior Member
    In 2008 we took the gondola up from Monarch Pass. At the top I asked the cable operator "what's that cement slab that looks like a mini helipad?"

It was where the gazebo used to be until the wind took it across to another slope.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 22,265 Senior Member
    What you guys call heavy winds, we call Tuesday.

Seriously we had 4 days of Santa Ana's last week, I'd rather have snow.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    What you guys call heavy winds, we call Tuesday.

Seriously we had 4 days of Santa Ana's last week, I'd rather have snow.

That's funny.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Good one Comic. hehehehe
    A bunch of siding blew off our bass players house yesterday. Ouch.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    This just in.........126 mph gusts near Frisco.........112 mph gusts on Monarch Pass.......
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • It's blown here but not that hard. **** that's Cat 1 hurricane.
  • The winds were pretty bad, especially for this poor guy.
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_19654610
    A loose tree branch was picked up by the wind shortly after noon and driven through the windshield of a car on U.S. 36 near Lefthand Canyon Drive in Boulder County.
    The driver, identified as 61-year-old James Baker-Jarvis, was impaled by the branch. He was transported to Boulder Community Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Our damage doesn't even compare to this poor feloow and his family, but I have just been out trying to pick up the glass pieces and it is a battle I will never win. It is everywhere! I am really worried because of the kids come spring/summer. I hope to not be pulling out pieces of glass from bare feet...guess the new policy will be shoes only (that will go over well with a 5 and 2.5 year old).

I was able to sweep up a lot. But it tipped over right at the edge of the patio. I am now trying to shovel chunks of snow which contain glass into a bucket and then into the trash bin. The garbage man is going to love this.
  • Did the glass break into the lawn? We had the same thing happen to us when our kids were little. We've always had dogs so the kids wear shoes outside. So buy a dog for the kids problem solved.
    '
  • That is a good idea. Maybe I should see if Brian D wants to stop by on his way to see Sherb. :D
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    yatahey wrote: »
    A bunch of siding blew off our bass players house yesterday.

Oh come off it, yatahey. Nobody is going to believe a **** claim like that. Whoever heard of a bass player who owns a house???

Now, if you had said "our bass player's girlfriend's house, it might sound realistic.

bd
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    jbilly wrote: »
    I am now trying to shovel chunks of snow which contain glass into a bucket and then into the trash bin. The garbage man is going to love this.

Sounds like you need a great big strainer and a hair dryer.

bd

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.