Wading Boots

George KGeorge K Super ModeratorPosts: 8,735 Senior Member
I live in PA but will be in Laramie the first week in May for UW's commencement. I'm thinking of hiring a guide for a day and my question concerns wading boots.

Guides probably will not want my wife and I to wear studded rubber soles in a drift boat. Can we bring felt sole boots and disinfect them, or are felts banned in WY?

Thanks for your help.
Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Replies

• ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    There's no felt sole ban in Wyoming.
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • KyoKyo Junior Member Posts: 10 Junior Member
    If you owned a drift boat you probably wouldn't want folks
    in it with cleats unless you had floor mats. But even that's
    pushing it as the mats wouldn't last long.

Perhaps you're not comfortable wading with out spikes
    so then you simply have the oarsmen position the boat
    where you can fish from it exclusively. We used to do
    that with one of the 70 year old chaplains at our office.
    It's amazing how many fish we caught with the man
    of the cloth on board . . .
  • herefishyherefishy Junior Member Posts: 3 Junior Member
    Buy a square of heavy carpet for each of you and be careful to use it when you're in the boat.
  • SilverCreekSilverCreek Senior Member Posts: 114 Senior Member
    I go to a print shop and get used aluminum printing plates. Then get slip-on oversized rubber overshoe covers that will fit your wading boots. Cut the aluminum prinint plates to fit into the bottom of the rubber shoe covers and then slip the shoe covers over the wading boots.

The aluminum plates prevent the studs from cutting through the rubber covers. You can slip them on and off as needed. Slip them off to go wading and on to use the boat. You can also use them to go into fly shops, rest rooms, etc
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 8,735 Senior Member
    I go to a print shop and get used aluminum printing plates. Then get slip-on oversized rubber overshoe covers that will fit your wading boots. Cut the aluminum prinint plates to fit into the bottom of the rubber shoe covers and then slip the shoe covers over the wading boots.

The aluminum plates prevent the studs from cutting through the rubber covers. You can slip them on and off as needed. Slip them off to go wading and on to use the boat. You can also use them to go into fly shops, rest rooms, etc

That's a bit of work, but a good idea. These days I only use my old felt soled boots on my local water - most other places I fish discourage or ban them.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • gatsbygatsby Member Posts: 30 Member
    It is precisely this issue that propelled me to ask for Korkers for Christmas. I have three soles for them, rubber, felt and felt with studs. You can change them out in no time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file