Teaching "gay history" in CA

2»

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,776 Senior Member
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    don't you mean hung?

You know who else was a **** about grammar? ****. And he hated gays, too.

Therefore, you must hate gays. Fascist.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,246 Senior Member
    Nice. Just nice.

I do wonder: why just "gay history?" Any Women's history? African-American history? Chinese-American history? Hispanic American history? You get the point. I do believe that the contributions should be pointed out, but there's a lot of other minorities who should have this done, too.

And in California they each get their focus.

This wouldn't be necessary if they were not currently being ignored in classrooms.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,030 Senior Member
    Okay, let's go through this one more time, guys: Outlaws are hanged, horses are hung; sheep are raised, children are reared. Thank you for caring.

Jim
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Wyoming just called. They take exception to the sheep thing.
  • SaraSara Senior Member Posts: 512 Senior Member
    It has to be age appropriate. There is still a lot of gay-hate in our society so maybe educating people that gays have positively contributed to our society is a good thing. But High School. Kinders would not get it!
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 0
    Sure Kinders would get it. One episode of Barney.
    And in California they each get their focus.

This wouldn't be necessary if they were not currently being ignored in classrooms.
    Fair enough. I did not know, that's why I asked my questions. I was wondering because the article said:

Democratic Sen. Mark Leno authorized the bill that would require the class.

That to me denotes that it's at least half a semester. I was just wondering if they devoted equal time to other minority groups. If so, good. If not, then why single out gay people and their contributions and not give the same to other minorities? I don't really care what California teaches, as I have no children and they wouldn't attend CA schools. On the other hand, if you're going to highlight the contributions of one minority, you should highlight the contributions of all, in my opinion.
    Bakerloo would know better than I but I doubt that this would even involve a week or month let alone a half a semester.

In a perfect world you would be right. However we live in a world that wants to put on blinders when it comes to gay people. Remember in our lifetime it was made illegal for an openly gay person to teach in Florida public schools.

Can you say Anita Bryant? I knew you could.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • TrootfisherTrootfisher Senior Member Posts: 901 Senior Member
    Why should sexual orientation matter enough (to mention it at all)?

Would teachers have to make it a point to say "Paul Revere, who was heterosexual, warned that the Brittish were coming . . ."
    If he was heterosexual, how would he know the British were coming?
    Bakerloo would know better than I but I doubt that this would even involve a week or month let alone a half a semester.

In a perfect world you would be right. However we live in a world that wants to put on blinders when it comes to gay people. Remember in our lifetime it was made illegal for an openly gay person to teach in Florida public schools.

Can you say Anita Bryant? I knew you could.

In 1977 when Anita Bryant did that I was 3.

I think back to my FL history classes in middle school and high school, and the contributions of various minorities were covered, not as "subjects" but as they occurred. Race of the contributor was added if the name did not denote the ethnicity. I could see something similar being done here, but I'm not an education expert.

I was just using the article to try and determine the intensity of the course.
    If he was heterosexual, how would he know the British were coming?

because Paul Revere was shooting off his gun

I think back to my FL history classes in middle school and high school, and the contributions of various minorities were covered, not as "subjects" but as they occurred. Race of the contributor was added if the name did not denote the ethnicity. I could see something similar being done here, but I'm not an education expert.

I was just using the article to try and determine the intensity of the course.

Bream were you required to take the course "Americanism vs Communism" in high school? In 1975 it was requirement. My history teacher the first day said it was propaganda and we spent only one week with the state mandated material and text book. The rest of the time we discussed and studied Watergate.
    Nope. I did have to take a semester-long course on "American Government" as a freshman, which basically took us from the Declaration to the Amendment process and covered failed amendments. Not much history other than what was relevant to government, but that was fine because my junior year I had to take American history.
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Nice. Just nice.

I do wonder: why just "gay history?" Any Women's history? African-American history? Chinese-American history? Hispanic American history?

Greek history?

Look at that, now we've come full circle.

bd
    You just like how they wrestled...

Oh hell. This is just effing great. This means you are a year younger than me. But when you posted your wedding pic, I thought you looked older.

On the bright side, even though your wife looks younger than my wife, maybe you're not as much of a cradle robber as I thought.

bd
    This is funny because if I were a Palin I would be old enough to be your dad. I was 17 at the time.
    Brian D. wrote: »
    Oh hell. This is just effing great. This means you are a year younger than me. But when you posted your wedding pic, I thought you looked older.

On the bright side, even though your wife looks younger than my wife, maybe you're not as much of a cradle robber as I thought.

bd

You're only 38? That makes your Mom what? 54?
    67 actually. She was born on D-Day. (wait for it...)

bd
    Brian D. wrote: »

bd

The years they be hard upon me. Such is the life of a biologist. And my lovely bride is 8 years younger than me.
    This is funny because if I were a Palin I would be old enough to be your dad. I was 17 at the time.

This is true. But you ain't my daddy!
    Is this how you respect your elders?
    And my lovely bride is 8 years younger than me.

Late twenties are a good age. Are you positive you don't have any pictures of skanky bridesmaids that you can share?

bd
    Is this how you respect your elders?

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend your old self.

May I please be disrespectful to Brian?
    Only if you tell me which of your wife's friends are the freakiest.

bd
    I'm not asking you, oh aged pinhead.
    Carry on......
    Thank you, oh distinguished one.
    See now that is what I am talking about. Thank you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.