Home The Lodge

A Question For George

WetdogWetdog Senior MemberPosts: 5,955 Senior Member
What's the deal with the Swedish love for little "sandwiches?"

I've seen several Swedish movies where it seems if they are eating anything, it's these little sandwiches...and they seem to like Cucumber sandwiches.
I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
I find the willingness to give it up frightening.

Replies

• yataheyyatahey Senior Member Posts: 5,605 Senior Member
    Maybe they only have really small ovens and can only bake tiny loaves of bread.
    "When the goin gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
  • JulietJuliet Posts: 49,774 Senior Member
    So Swedish chicks like cucumbers?
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,650 Senior Member
    Wetdog wrote: »
    What's the deal with the Swedish love for little "sandwiches?"

I've seen several Swedish movies where it seems if they are eating anything, it's these little sandwiches...and they seem to like Cucumber sandwiches.

Not sure what you mean by "little". If you mean about 1.5" X 3" that would be more English and they would serve them as hor d' ourves at a garden party with tea or champagne, or with a light afternoon tea, usually just good quality thin crustless white bread with butter and skinless seeded cucumber or watercress, They are addictive, but the emphasis is on good quality thin bread, not supermarket crap.

In Sweden, Norway and Denmark you will find larger open-faced sandwiches (Danish: smørrebrød, Norwegian: smørbrød, Swedish: smörgås) on sliced bread (usually rye) or flat/crisp breads served at any time. At breakfast usually they will be smorgasbord make-your-own style and mostly cheeses, cold cuts and pickled herring. Lunch and dinner could be make-your-own or prepared and would add greens, flavored mayo, remoulade, mustards, shrimp, smoked or pickled salmon, caviar etc.
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    greenman wrote: »
    So Swedish chicks like cucumbers?

Especially English cucumbers, which are way longer than the ones we see here.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSS5QJHT0fwWn7cC5b-LmbzXn7oFDK8_sdAOP0zmNBLzUtOsos
    The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
    George,

Do I remember correctly that one of the countries - maybe Holland, maybe Denmark - small sandwiches purchased from automats was kind of the norm. I seem to remember this when I was a kid with a backpack. Maybe called bruges or brujes or something like that.
  • WetdogWetdog Senior Member Posts: 5,955 Senior Member
    What I would call the "hor d' ourves" type, maybe slightly bigger than the the English variety. I've seen them all the time in their movies. I was hoping the French nouvelle cuisine thing hadn't put down permanent roots in Scandinavia.
    I find the assault on free thought disturbing,
    I find the willingness to give it up frightening.
    Steven wrote: »
    George,

Do I remember correctly that one of the countries - maybe Holland, maybe Denmark - small sandwiches purchased from automats was kind of the norm. I seem to remember this when I was a kid with a backpack. Maybe called bruges or brujes or something like that.

That would be Holland. The Scandis always have been fresh food fanatics.
    That was good eating back when I was doing the $25 a day thing.

Not much reason to go to Holland on business.
    Wetdog wrote: »
    What I would call the "hor d' ourves" type, maybe slightly bigger than the the English variety. I've seen them all the time in their movies. I was hoping the French nouvelle cuisine thing hadn't put down permanent roots in Scandinavia.

The normal size is about 2/3 of a slice of supermarket rye bread.

Scandinavian-American food is to Scandinavian food as corned beef and cabbage is to Irish food. About half of Norway and Sweden will have smoked reindeer or lutefisk once a year, and perhaps 20% of Swedes will have a piece or two of fermented herring washed down with aquavit once a year, but that's about it.

When I think of Norwegian food I think of wine-poached halibut steak with butter, fresh dill and new potatoes; sauteed breiflabb (monk fish) tournedos with lobster sauce, and of course prawns, many varieties of pickled herring, cod, salmon and trout.

Swedish food is similar but adds a European sophistication absent in traditional Norwegian home cooking. Things like crepes filled with cheese and small shrimp, and complicated sauces. This might be the result of a lot of Napoleon's generals settling in Sweden after 1814, or just that at least in the southern part winters are less severe than in most of Norway and there was a greater variety of things available year-round. Also, until the oil boom Sweden was the rich, worldly country and Norway was relatively poorer and more insular despite its seafaring heritage. Prior to 1905, Norway was the poor half of the Norway-Sweden union.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement