Brought to you by your friends at PETA

Full page ad, today's WSJ:

"Many years ago, I was fishing, and as I was reeling the poor fish, I realized, 'I am killing him - all for the passing pleasure it brings me.' And something inside me clicked. I realized , as I watched him fight for breath, that his life was as important to him as mine is to me."

--I am Paul McCartney, and I am a vegeterian.

Replies

• ScottPScottP Senior Member Posts: 480 Senior Member
    Considering all the crap he's put out post-Beatles, I'd say he owes air-breathing bi-peds a similar apology.
    They say the times are changing but I just don't know
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    What's REALLY scary is that PETA can afford a full page ad in the WSJ.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • that's a good point, Mike
  • P.DieterP.Dieter Super Moderator Posts: 968 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    I realized , as I watched him fight for breath, that his life was as important to him as mine is to me."

--I am Paul McCartney, and I am a vegeterian.

oddly enough I think that might be the same reason I enjoy fishing so much.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________
    it is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it
    - Aristotle

Northwest Fly Anglers
  • SilverCreekSilverCreek Senior Member Posts: 131 Senior Member
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,246 Senior Member
    As long as they do not legislate how I live my life, I can respect their philosophy.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    I have no issues with vegans and their choices, it is a healthy lifestyle. PETA OTOH really is after your guns and flyrods.

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Brian D.Brian D. Senior Member Posts: 4,011 Senior Member
    Steven wrote: »
    Full page ad, today's WSJ:

"Many years ago, I was fishing, and as I was reeling the poor fish, I realized, 'I am killing him - all for the passing pleasure it brings me.'

This gives me a great idea for a Freddie Mercury- themed AIDS awareness ad.

bd
  • flytrapflytrap Banned Posts: 1,659 Senior Member
    I have often told myself that's why I don't use live bait, I don't want to kill even a worm or a minnow just to catch a fish for fun. However, since the Dragon loves eating fish, especially trout ;) , if I plan on keeping the fish it doesn't bother me that much. But, hey, the more vegans and vegetarians, the more fish for the rest of us!
    There are worse things in life than being a born cynic.
  • FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,053 Senior Member
    That's why I eat the suckers.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,905 Senior Member
    I have the ultimate answer. I return the fish to the water. The pain and suffering of the fish will teach them the wariness that will save them from being caught by the piscavore who wants to eat them. Of course, thats only for Brown trout, which I find bland. And most rainbows. Brookies? Yum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.