Home The Lodge

my favorite from tonight's shoot

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
took pictures at my friend/boss' Halloween party.

6293455793_1d9cc0eddc_b.jpg
D7K_0482-Edit by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 25,524 Senior Member
    ;)

Love it
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,570 Senior Member
    Tebowing
    :p
    All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • ricinusricinus Senior Member Posts: 6,214 Senior Member
    It takes a kid to pull it off. Very nice!!

Mike
    My new goal in life is to become an Alter Kaker...
  • Scott did you use some photoshop on the image? If so what?
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Greenman -- here's what I do:
    Before/after:
    6295138572_88f0531c53_z.jpg
    D7K_0482 by Scott Butner, on Flickr
    6293455793_1d9cc0eddc_z.jpg
    D7K_0482-Edit by Scott Butner, on Flickr

post processing involves reducing contrast and color saturation on the original (yes, REDUCING); making a duplicate of the desaturated image, and using the "Overlay" blend mode -- this will get you about 80% of the effect alone by amping up the colors. In this case, I took another clone of one of the layers, applied a high-pass filter, converted that layer to black and white, and increased the contrast -- this gets you some of the edginess of the shot. I then go back to lightroom from PS Elements, and apply the noise reduction slider and push it quite high -- this smoothes over the textures, giving the waxy look.

There's a fair amount of trial and error involved at first, but I've gotten it down to about 5 minutes per photo.

here's one of my boss and his wife and son, with just contrast, color saturation and brightness adjustments from the original.

6294300938_950d60576a_b.jpg
    D7K_0412-Edit by Scott Butner, on Flickr
  • Bak4MorBak4Mor Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    your photos seem to capture personality. this one is top shelf.

there has to be some kind of conjecture of how long Hextall would last against Captain America.
    "All I have is a piece of hard rock candy. But it's not for eatin'. It's just for lookin' through. " ~Lone Watie
  • Scott it comes close to having that look that the movie 300 had or even the **** Tracy movie from the 80s. Real interesting.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    thanks, I've been trying for a comic-book look -- reasonably happy with the approach but now kind of ready to move on to something more hyper-real, like I've seen in a few other photographer's work. Need to improve my post-processing skills, I am still a complete noob when it comes to processing. My 24 year old friend/mentor kicks my **** on postprocessing technique every time!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement