Home The Lodge

Review: Moneyball.

ouzelproouzelpro Senior MemberPosts: 5,361 Senior Member
Not knowing much MLB history or caring to watch paint dry (i.e. most baseball games), I have to say that I enjoyed the story.

Have any fans here seen it?

Replies

• cool glad you liked it

I chose to follow Hex's advice and first read the book while cuddling with Sherb and then when it is out on ppv or dvd we can cuddle in front of the fireplace and watch it together
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,518 Senior Member
    Not yet, but I plan to.

He is the victim of his own success. Now that every team uses these metrics he no longer has an advantage.
    Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • HextallHextall Senior Member Posts: 9,520 Senior Member
    I saw this movie last weekend... and it was pretty good. There are some baseball related things that are annoying (like not even mentioning Zito, Mulder or Hudson and some other little things) but it's not really a baseball movie, so that's just picking nits.
  • Hex?

how much better is the book? still recommend reading over watching?
    monkeydoes wrote: »
    Hex?

how much better is the book? still recommend reading over watching?

The book goes much more into the history of sabermetrics, which the movie just glosses over. The book is much more about baseball and the business of baseball. while the movie is much more about the characters of Billy Beane and his sidekicks. I think you could see the movie first and still enjoy the book as they sort of tackle the same subject from different angles.
  • thanks

she who shall not be named is a Cubette (and actually knows a thing or two about baseball) and has expressed a desire to see this so maybe we'll give it a go this weekend in between Series games
  • tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,076 Senior Member
    mulder, zito& hudson wanted too much money?
    Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
    tim_s wrote: »
    mulder, zito& hudson wanted too much money?

It didn't really fit into the narrative of how Beane fielded a team that could compete with the Yankees/Red Sox (I think the starters were marginalized in the book too). That's the biggest knock against what the story of Moneyball... that while Beane did some very interesting signings based on some ignored offensive attributes, his real success was having 3 of the best starting pitchers in the game at the time.
  • PanchoPancho Member Posts: 44 Member
    Hextall wrote: »
    It didn't really fit into the narrative of how Beane fielded a team that could compete with the Yankees/Red Sox (I think the starters were marginalized in the book too). That's the biggest knock against what the story of Moneyball... that while Beane did some very interesting signings based on some ignored offensive attributes, his real success was having 3 of the best starting pitchers in the game at the time.

In a great pitcher's park. Case in point: Cards traded Dan Haren for Mulder and their careers went in opposite directions. Haren was admittedly a great prospect but he was Seaver-like in Oakland and Mulder went from a perennial Cy Young candidate to a very average 2nd or 3rd starter in St. Louis until he got hurt.
  • oc stomiasoc stomias Senior Member Posts: 348 Senior Member
    Saw it this weekend, and liked it a lot. Brad Pitt is very good in it - scenes with Jonah Hill worked very well. Very funny. Pitt will get an Oscar nomination for this.

There really isn't much baseball in it.
    As an aside: Michael Lewis was on the Daily Show last week and he told Jon Stewart that when he was told that Moneyball would be adapted to the screen he thought it was a horrible idea and didn't think they would be able to pull it off. I've read the book. I've not seen the movie yet- partly because I had the same opinion. Now, after hearing the positive reviews and learning that the sabremetric heavy content was omitted from the movie I can envision how it could be more palatable to a mass audience.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Yes, definitely light on the sabremetic content. There were some very quick flashes of some graphs and tables, just long enough for the brain to register: "Oooo look! Statistics!" Real teaser shots. I had to rush home and open my old college statistics book and rub one out.
    ouzelpro wrote: »
    Yes, definitely light on the sabremetic content. There were some very quick flashes of some graphs and tables, just long enough for the brain to register: "Oooo look! Statistics!" Real teaser shots. I had to rush home and open my old college statistics book and rub one out.

Wow, you must really looove stats! :eek:
  • Micheal Lewis was pitching his new book Boomerang:Travels in third world countries It's about Iceland, Greece, Ireland and other EU countries who have or may go bankrupt. I've got it on reserve at my library.
  • ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    Very nerdy. Hopefully, clever and funny.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement