I Like the Atlantic Salmon Article on the Front Page...

Brian D.Brian D. Senior MemberPosts: 4,011 Senior Member
Some dingleberry caught an endangered Atlantic salmon, thought it was a brown trout, and threw it in the freezer for the taxidermist. Now he's looking at a court date and a steep fine.

Initially, I thought this was a tiny bit harsh, since browns and Atlantics can look so similar that you can get a lot of debate over which is which in photos. Then I clicked through to the link and saw the picture:

RyanMcCulloughBrownTroutWhiteRiverAtlanticSalmon.png

I mean, really. He thought that was a brown??? Barring really unusual circumstances, I'm sorry, but a sportsman who decides to keep a fish has an absolute responsibility to make sure he knows what he's keeping. This guy blew that responsibility big time.

Also, he should pay an extra $1,500.00 for dressing like Ted Nugent's **** rent boy. Jesus, put a shirt on.

bd

Replies

• ouzelproouzelpro Senior Member Posts: 5,361 Senior Member
    As to the lack of response, everyone immediately checked their clothing choice for the day and decided to change.
  • outdoorsmanoutdoorsman Member Posts: 85 Member
    I'm always amazed at how many fisherman cannot ID some of the most commonly caught sport-fish. Usually it is somebody who doesn't fish very often...but not always!
  • swiperswiper Senior Member Posts: 396 Senior Member
    You still hold that striper record young man?
    mikgaes wrote: »
    You still hold that striper record young man?

Yup. :cool:

I was a nervous wreck back in May though...with a 54+ pounder caught by somebody (mine was 55.4), and a ~60 pounder caught in a net (but rumors were flying)!
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 23,580 Senior Member
    I'm always amazed at how many fisherman cannot ID some of the most commonly caught sport-fish. Usually it is somebody who doesn't fish very often...but not always!

When I fished the Magalloway, I had no idea what a landlock was and did not know how to identify them. I was thinking, I have never seen a brown trout jump so much.
    'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    When I fished the Magalloway, I had no idea what a landlock was and did not know how to identify them. I was thinking, I have never seen a brown trout jump so much.

Rookie. ;)

Browns and landlocked salmon can be tough to tell sometimes...especially if/when both species are lake-run and very silver (and often the same size). After seeing a lot of these fish, I can tell, but it wasn't always that way.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.