Home The Lodge

Scotch

2»

Replies

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,956 Senior Member

@ShawnC2 said:
    See Jim, nothing to worry about!

Oh I wasn't worried :)

Though I'd be lying if I told you my consumption was as low as China's corona rates.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 4,927 Senior Member

@jbilly said:

@Steven said:

Really?

Are you sure you're drinking the single barrel and not the small batch? I find the tastes to be very different.

Agreed the 2 are different. My buddies and I did a blind tasting with a few different bourbons and all but 1 out of 5 could tell the single barrel vs small batch. Very distinct difference IMO

And yes I am positive on the single barrel....Iv got 4 bottles of it (no, I don't have a problem)

I guess you're right.

My wife was in Chicago and she brought back a bunch of bottles and we did a taste test. It was easy to pick out the 4RSi. I love licorice, ouzo, anisette...

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,181 Senior Member

@Steven said:
    If you like a sweet bourbon, I still think Breckenridge is the best.

I guess this is why they have different brands. I've had Breackenridge twice and I think diesel fuel is smoother than that crap. Taste isn't bad, but it's some rough ****.

• tim_stim_s Senior Member Posts: 2,358 Senior Member

caol illa 18 is nice

Fly Fishing in Maine - www.flyfishinginmaine.com
  • ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,558 Senior Member

Steven,

So, 4 Roses Single Barrel has anise flavor? I too love licorice, fennel, ouzo, raki.

You should try 4 Roses SB because it’s a fantastic bourbon.

It doesn’t taste like licorice. Stevens been eating too much beige food living Iowa and its ruined his taste buds :)

Let’s act like hipsters shall we?

4RSi for single barrel.

4Rsb is for small batch.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,467 Senior Member

Why not drink real Bourbon instead? The nicest thing I can say about Four Roses is that it isn't made in Indiana. (Ducks and runs for cover)

I have visited the Four Roses distillery, done the tasting and walked away shaking my head, wondering why it has become a cult favorite. All four varieties they served up could not hold a candle to moderate cost bottles like Bulleit, Old Forester or even - gasp - Evan Williams, IMO, and in the opinion of many of the disappointed tasters at the bar as well.

p.s. OK, I am the first to admit that some very nice Bourbons and Ryes begin life in that mega distillery in Lawrenceburg, IN.

I'm sorry if this shatters any fantasies about little cornpone distilleries in the hills. A few producers, but only a few, are up front about basing their products on one of the mashes from MGP.

https://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/high-spirits-blog/mgp-ingredients-lawrenceburg/

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,508 Senior Member

Anybody watch this show?

https://www.discovery.com/shows/moonshiners-master-distiller

The had an episode where they were making a tequila that was flavor infused. I had never even heard of such a thing.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    edited April 2020 #41

Oh I like the old Forrester line up as well (the 1897 and 1910 are my favorites).

And dang it someday I will get my hands on a bottle of Birthday bourbon!!!

Nothing wrong with Bulleit, George. Nothing special about it either.

You can say the same for Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Makers Mark...

I like Bulleit better than the other ones you mentioned, Steven. Buffalo Trace (had a bottle last year) was really good. Have to track down another of them.

The Basil Hayden’s is good. Not great but I like it.

edited April 2020 #44

@Steven said:
    Nothing wrong with Bulleit, George. Nothing special about it either.
    You can say the same for Woodford Reserve, Knob Creek, Makers Mark...

True. Bulleit for sure, and probably the others, are based on one or another MGP mash. Bulleit (MGP) rye is excellent, although a few suspect bottles have shown up in tastings.

I've been told in several liquor stores that Bulleit has been producing its own Bourbon, and should be releasing it "soon". I will be eager to sample it.

To put it in perspective, 1.75 liter bottles of Bulleit in nearby Maryland are $38, and 86 proof Old Forrester $43. Can't beat that for "value-for-money" for very acceptable Bourbon.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

So my two favorite bottles that I’m nursing and drink only from rarely are an Old Fitzgerald 11year and a George T Stagg from 2016. I’ve yet to crack open the Taylor small bath or single barrel bottles.

144 proof! I take it back; you do have a problem.

edited April 2020 #47

Oh it definitely packs a punch. Save that for when its butt @ss cold. But it is really good. Would kill for more.

edited April 2020 #48

My son loves all the Col. Taylors, I think they are very good, but I prefer higher rye content. I do have a bottle of 12 year Old Fitzgerald that I picked up at the distillery a few years ago. It's one of the corn-dominant Bourbons I love, and I horde it!

Yeah the Old Fitz is great, just missed out on the 11 year but this one is awesome.

I just recently tried Angels Envy....not a fan.

@jbilly said:
    I just recently tried Angels Envy....not a fan.

Nor I. I liked it a few years ago when I first tried it. But. But then I bought bottle and quickly realized that love at first taste faded with the dawn, as they say.

For those who like just a little sweetness, you might try Powers Gold label Irish whiskey. It ain't your father's Jameson's (not that there's anything wrong with that :) ), but it is, IMO, an excellent bottle. Get the 86.4 proof. For reasons unknown to me, they also release a completely different blend at 80 proof that is best avoided, or perhaps used for Irish coffee.

Hey Shawn for one from your back yard try some of the High West products. The bourrye is tasty

Sherb. You are a freaking animal.

For a 1.75!!!!

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 2,181 Senior Member

That aint even good for starting fires. Makes 'em stink like somebody pee'd on it. Hahaha.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement