Home The Lodge

I tell ya, Jane, it's just one thing after another...."

Magalloway2Magalloway2 Posts: 51 Member

I went out to start the trusty Highlander (most barb-free car I've ever owned when I can keep the rats from eating the wiring harness) to hear the dreaded rattle of a water pump bearing. From what I can read, it looks like I'm going to see all my gummint money and a little more go right back into the economy.

Jim

Replies

• Magalloway2Magalloway2 Posts: 51 Member

Estimate without a 2020 inspection sticker---$1790 (pump, six pulleys, belts, then GOK what else.)

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 1,608 Senior Member

Yikes. What year is your Toyota?

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,129 Senior Member
    edited March 2020 #4

A lot of manufactures are using some sort of soy based insulation on the wiring harness that makes rodents want to eat it. I had a massive nest in my Jeep because it mostly just sits during the week. I put a bar of Irish Spring under the hood and haven't had an issue again since.

FTR I'm sick of Jeep already. Like most American made autos this one has constant issues. When you hit the forums it's issues that everyone has. Leaking oil cooler that leaks large amounts of oil onto the hot manifold when you're on an incline. Gas cap light always on. Swaybar disconnect error light, etc. Never again.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 12,019 Senior Member

@Magalloway2 said:
    Estimate without a 2020 inspection sticker---$1790 (pump, six pulleys, belts, then GOK what else.)

What's the inspection sticker?
    Why are you replacing six pulleys?
    What's GOK?

@MikeA said:
    A lot of manufactures are using some sort of soy based insulation on the wiring harness that >makes rodents want to eat it. I had a massive nest in my Jeep because it mostly just sits >during the week. I put a bar of Irish Spring under the hood and haven't had an issue again >since.

Yup. Happened to my sons Toyota car. Somehow he got it replaced under warranty.

FTR I'm sick of Jeep already. Like most American made autos this one has constant issues. >When you hit the forums it's issues that everyone has. Leaking oil cooler that leaks large >amounts of oil onto the hot manifold when you're on an incline. Gas cap light always on. >Swaybar disconnect error light, etc. Never again.

Sounds familiar. Over the years, can't say I know any happy Jeep owners. The grand cherokees used to be notorius for transmission failures.

Kinda the reason I shy away from the big three and stick with the Toyota, Honda and Nissan products.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,284 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    A lot of manufactures are using some sort of soy based insulation on the wiring harness that makes rodents want to eat it. I had a massive nest in my Jeep because it mostly just sits during the week. I put a bar of Irish Spring under the hood and haven't had an issue again since.

FTR I'm sick of Jeep already. Like most American made autos this one has constant issues. When you hit the forums it's issues that everyone has. Leaking oil cooler that leaks large amounts of oil onto the hot manifold when you're on an incline. Gas cap light always on. Swaybar disconnect error light, etc. Never again.

what does the Irish Spring do?

edited March 2020 #8

Smell of it repels the rodents. As does fabric softener dryer sheets.

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 6,129 Senior Member

^Yep. It does work. If you have a vehicle that mostly sits this is a good idea.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,284 Senior Member

Didn't know that. I have three cats so I don't a rodent problem, but its good to know.

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 638 Senior Member

Moth balls will also keep critters away.

Does say something about Irish Spring--cleaning yourself in nasty chemicals. I hate scented soaps of all types (bar soap, laundry soap, etc.). I don't need a chemical scent on me or my clothes or to smell it on others.

@GreenMtBoy2 said:
    I hate scented soaps of all types (bar soap, laundry soap, etc.). I don't need a chemical scent >on me or my clothes or to smell it on others.

Agreed. I use this stuff...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00120VWJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Magalloway2Magalloway2 Posts: 51 Member

1) God Only Knows. 2) Maine requires an annual safety inspection. 3) I have no idea about the pulley problems, will inspect this afternoon. I suspect misalignment of one shaft or another wore bearings. 4) Just lucky, I guess.

Jim

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement