Trump Likes the Autocratic Leaders

GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 118 Senior Member

Bolton Was Concerned That Trump Did Favors for Autocratic Leaders, Book Says

The former national security adviser shared his unease with the attorney general, who cited his own worries about the president’s conversations with the leaders of Turkey and China.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/us/politics/john-bolton-trump-book-barr.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

What’s with that? Some sort of psychological thing? Birds of a feather flock together?

He definitely needs to be gone, that’s for sure.

Replies

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,486 Senior Member

Or maybe he really just wants to get sh- it done. Birds of a feather is a good analogy. It’s hard to be a doer in an establishment full of chicken little's.

The economy would collapse if Trump's policies took effect. Wrong
    Paul Krugman and others said the stock market and the economy would collapse. Wrong
    When Trump was talking tough on North Korea, there were predictions of doom and World War III. Wrong
    When Trump pulled out of the Iran agreement, we were told it would be a disaster Wrong
    When Trump pulled out of the TPP, we were told that trade would be harmed. Wrong
    When Trump slapped tariffs on China, we were told how harmful it would be to our economy and how inflationary the tariffs would be to the overall economy. Wrong
    When Trump kept his word to move the embassy to Jerusalem, we were told how dangerous it would be. Wrong
    When Trump and Republicans repealed the individual mandate penalty of Obamacare, we were told rates would skyrocket Wrong
    The biggest prediction of doom was of when Trump pulled out of the idiotic Paris Climate Accord. Wrong
    ~
    Just a few of the sky is going to fall if ------ happens.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,464 Senior Member

@GreenMtBoy2 said:

Why? Does everyone's life magically become better if he is gone?

Is your life bad now with him in there?

edited January 28 #4

Magic wand strikes again. Get that man out of office before he makes all of Washington look like the bunch of hacks that they are.
    GM commits to $2.2 billion investment and 2,200 jobs at Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly
    https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2020/01/27/gm-detroit-hamtramck-poletown-assembly-plant-jobs/4564108002/

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 118 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:

@GreenMtBoy2 said:

Why? Does everyone's life magically become better if he is gone?

Is your life bad now with him in there?

To me life is more than just my material well being.

OK. So you stated he needs to be gone. For what reason?

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 118 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    OK. So you stated he needs to be gone. For what reason?

Because he is a stain on the national character.

Meh. We'll survive and be ok. Nothing to get overly excited about.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member

nothing to be thrilled about either.

The destruction of political norms that began with Clinton has reached its apotheosis with Trump. Its true, the economy is doing well and most people don't see this as a valid reason to throw him out. But countries never really recover from the destruction of such norms. Merely because a polity has stopped convulsing does not mean that it has regained its health.

edited January 28 #10

Well, if conservatives who run on their service to country, and strong moral character, didn't loose elections to much less qualified candidates (McCain) then maybe we could change our course.

Until that changes, and now more than ever, I'm going to vote by party. Some wining is better than none.

I found the President's defense team to be compelling, articulate, strong advocates for their client. I also found their position unconvincing. Even the great Dersh couldn't convince me. I think a better litigation strategy would be to concede wrongdoing but argue it doesn't warrant removal. Trump is of course never going to go for that.

@sherb said:

The destruction of political norms that began with Clinton has reached its apotheosis with Trump. Its true, the economy is doing well and most people don't see this as a valid reason to throw him out. But countries never really recover from the destruction of such norms. Merely because a polity has stopped convulsing does not mean that it has regained its health.

In the end we will all have survived Trump and nobody will be worse off than they are now because of it. Matter of fact the system in place has more or less shown itself resilient to the ways of Trump which in the long run may strengthen the rule of law.

Unlike some...I'm not going to get my undies in a bundle about him.

edited January 28 #13

I watched most of what Alan said, missed the first few mins.

This stood out to me the most.

What she said is true. Sorry, but it is. The Framers, perhaps recognizing the danger inherent in this, made removal much harder than impeachment. Now as a matter of policy, impeachment has generally required proof of a statutory crime to warrant removal (Alcee Hastings comes to mind) but its not constitutionally required.

I certainly can’t argue law with you, but I’m with Alan on this one. If this is the standard for impeaching a president, then every time there’s an opposing party in the house, this is what we can expect. That can’t be what the framers had in mind.

And that's a fair point, but that's a policy argument, and not a constitutional standard. I don't think the framers made it easy (no president has been removed) I just don't think they required proof of a crime.

• StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member

I think it's very clear that removal doesn't require a proof of the crime. We've had federal judges and Senators impeached and found guilty without committing crimes.

Hamilton wrote that "high crimes and misdemeanors" was a violation of the public trust; that the accused had done something to cause the loss of the public's trust. Thus a judge could be impeached for being drunk on the bench (this has happened twice). A Senator was impeached for assisting Great Britain in an attempt to seize northern Florida from Spain (no law against this).

One can argue that although Clinton broke the law, he didn't lose the public trust. If this happened in the MeToo world of today, it might be very different.

Trump and the Ukraine is tricky. I think you have to prove: Trump held back the aid to pressure the Ukraine to investigate the Bidens, knowing full well that there was nothing there, and that it was solely due to Biden being his political rival.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,202 Senior Member

@sherb said:

This. 100% this.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.