So,, about that VA rally.

MikeAMikeA Senior MemberPosts: 4,486 Senior Member

Where were all the white hate groups the media was foaming at the mouth over. Why did Northham declare a state of emergency?

Babylon bee brings the funny.

https://babylonbee.com/news/new-deadlier-ar-16-introduced-which-is-an-ar-15-wearing-a-maga-hat

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,951 Senior Member

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 240 Senior Member
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,947 Senior Member

Richmond Comicon was so awesome!

edited January 23 #5

That dude's backpack is full of what?

a) Ammo
    b) Wayne Lapierre inflatible sex doll
    c) Lunchables his mom packed
    d) Bottomless pit of deep-seated paranoia

• MikeAMikeA Senior Member Posts: 4,486 Senior Member

Is that Brian Dunigan in the puffy jacket and toboggan?

Some of them are a strange bunch. I'll give you that. What is is with white people and dressing up? Golf, gun rallies, bowling, cosplay, euro Nymphing :).

• bushart1bushart1 Posts: 311 Senior Member

@ShawnC2 said:

a) Ammo

Anti-depressants and their jammies

@MikeA said:
    euro Nymphing :)

Oh, snap!

Funny thing is, a lot of gun rights advocates were arguing that protesters should show up dressed like...normal. Shirt, pants, no camo, no guns...

They were called collaborators.

@ShawnC2 said:

a) Ammo

I'll take all of the above for 100

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 118 Senior Member

These white supremacists were planning on going to the Richmond rally with murderous intent but that awful deep state stopped them.

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/16/797041211/fbi-arrests-3-alleged-members-of-white-supremacist-group-ahead-of-richmond-rally

I think they got their point across to the VA gun grabbing democrats.

I like the folks in multi-cam.

Not the pattern. Those in multiple camo patterns.

If the Democrats are such gun grabbers, how is it they had those arsenals?

• GoldenladleGoldenladle Super Moderator Posts: 3,922 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    If the Democrats are such gun grabbers, how is it they had those arsenals?

His messiah said that the do nothing dems are going to take their guns away, which is odd because if they do nothing, how are they going to take the guns away.

Moved to Montana, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

Virginia's state Senate passed a bill that would allow law enforcement officers to confiscate guns from or prevent the purchase of firearms by people deemed to be threats to themselves or others, just days after a massive gun rights rally swarmed the state Capitol.

If passed, the bill would allow state attorneys or law enforcement officers to apply for a judge's order to "prohibit a person who poses a substantial risk of injury to himself or others from purchasing, possessing, or transporting a firearm.

Most of the people at that rally could be considered a substantial risk to themselves or other people and have their guns confiscated. Even though not one law was broken.

edited January 23 #21

McLEAN, Va. – No guns allowed at the gun rights rally.

That's the word from Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, who announced Wednesday that he plans to declare an emergency and ban firearms around the state Capitol before a gun rights rally Monday that could draw thousands of armed people and militias from Virginia and out of state.

Gun rights advocates organizing the event promised a "peaceful day to address our Legislature" in Richmond, but their efforts sparked a much larger, grassroots movement that has drawn interest from gun owners and militias around the country.

Northam said at a news conference that intelligence from law enforcement agencies indicates that out-of-state militias and hate groups fueled by misinformation and conspiracy theories have "malicious plans" for the rally.

"They're not coming to peacefully protest. They are coming to intimidate and cause harm," Northam said.

^^^poses a substantial risk of injury to himself or others...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/15/virginia-gun-laws-northam-may-ban-guns-richmond-rally/4431532002/

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member
    edited January 23 #22

@MikeA said:
    Virginia's state Senate passed a bill that would allow law enforcement officers to confiscate guns from or prevent the purchase of firearms by people deemed to be threats to themselves or others, just days after a massive gun rights rally swarmed the state Capitol.

If passed, the bill would allow state attorneys or law enforcement officers to apply for a judge's order to "prohibit a person who poses a substantial risk of injury to himself or others from purchasing, possessing, or transporting a firearm.

So I am favor of these red flag laws in theory, but in practice what they mean is that people with mental illness (veterans with PTSD, for example) won't seek treatment because they are afraid of losing their right to firearms. Unintended consequences and all that.

• GreenMtBoy2GreenMtBoy2 Posts: 118 Senior Member

A couple of years ago our R Governor signed a bill that allows LE, with a court order, to take guns from a domestic abuser who is subject to a restraining order. Makes sense to me as it is common for the guy who gets a restraining order slapped on him to react by shooting the woman.

@GreenMtBoy2 said:
    A couple of years ago our R Governor signed a bill that allows LE, with a court order, to take guns from a domestic abuser who is subject to a restraining order. Makes sense to me as it is common for the guy who gets a restraining order slapped on him to react by shooting the woman.

This is already federal law. I like the Vermont version because it gives the state the power to actually seize them. The feds don't have that.

Having said that, the domestic restraining order process is easily abused. Many of them are completely frivolous and have more to do with scoring points during a divorce than protecting victims. Under Federal law, there must be a contested hearing before the federal prohibition kicks in. In other words, you can't go to a judge, get an ex parte protection order, and then tell the respondent to give up his guns.

@MikeA said:

And you want people who are deemed a threat to themselves and others to have all the guns they want?

@MikeA said:
    Most of the people at that rally could be considered a substantial risk to themselves or other people and have their guns confiscated. Even though not one law was broken.

And why would you say that?

@sherb said:

@MikeA said:

So I am favor of these red flag laws in theory, but in practice what they mean is that people with mental illness (veterans with PTSD, for example) won't seek treatment because they are afraid of losing their right to firearms. Unintended consequences and all that.

It seems to me that since it is also the standard for holding someone in a mental hospital, I don't see this as that great a concern for them. I would think that you could easily provide a due process that would remedy this solution.

Many are already avoiding treatment now because of fear it would hurt their prospects for advancement.

@fishingcomic said:

@MikeA said:

And why would you say that?

The Gov said it.
    "They're not coming to peacefully protest. They are coming to intimidate and cause harm," Northam said.

And that is exactly what they were doing. However nobody even bothered them.

@fishingcomic said:

@sherb said:

@MikeA said:

It seems to me that since it is also the standard for holding someone in a mental hospital, I don't see this as that great a concern for them. I would think that you could easily provide a due process that would remedy this solution.

Many are already avoiding treatment now because of fear it would hurt their prospects for advancement.

That's true, and in fact, I told someone close to me that very thing. Under the federal statute, you have to be adjudged a mental defective to be prohibited. So there's a requirement of a court hearing and a psych exam and a finding by the judge. The issue is one of perception. If gun owners think going to the VA for counseling is going to result in their firearms being seized, they aren't going to chance it.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,202 Senior Member

@MikeA said:

And this obviously is a terrible thing?

Er, no.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.