Things Could Get Very "Interesting" - Buckle Your Seat Belts

1111213141517»

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,951 Senior Member
    edited January 16 #482

You mean how like Reagan did?

BTW, now you believe CNN?

as the first installment of a $1.7 billion settlement resolving claims at an international tribunal at The Hague over a failed arms deal under the time of the Shah.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • StevenSteven Senior Member Posts: 3,902 Senior Member

Somebody blinked:

BAGHDAD—Iraq’s caretaker Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi indicated he would leave a decision whether to expel U.S. forces from the country to his successor, potentially slowing a push that could trigger American military-aid cuts and sanctions.

• creekguycreekguy Senior Member Posts: 3,989 Senior Member

You know, the military stuff in Iraq and Afghanistan has cost U. S. taxpayers Trillions of dollars. And certain people here are all huffy about a small fraction of that total going to prevent a nuclear showdown in the Middle East. A cash total you wouldn't even care about if it was a tax break for Trump's businesses! (sarcasm alert).

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,202 Senior Member

Enabling the the Iranians to build missiles?

Shock!!! Horror!!!

Would you Trumpistas be OK with selling them some, as President Reagan did?

"The Iran–Contra affair (Persian: ماجرای ایران-کنترا‎, Spanish: Caso Irán–Contra), popularized in Iran as the McFarlane affair,[1] the Iran–Contra scandal, or simply Iran–Contra, was a political scandal in the United States that occurred during the second term of the Reagan Administration. Senior administration officials secretly facilitated the sale of arms to the Khomeini government of the Islamic Republic of Iran, which was the subject of an arms embargo.[2] The administration hoped to use the proceeds of the arms sale to fund the Contras in Nicaragua. Under the Boland Amendment, further funding of the Contras by the government had been prohibited by Congress.

The official justification for the arms shipments was that they were part of an operation to free seven American hostages being held in Lebanon by Hezbollah, a paramilitary group with Iranian ties connected to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps. The plan was for Israel to ship weapons to Iran, for the United States to resupply Israel, and for Israel to pay the United States. The Iranian recipients promised to do everything in their power to achieve the release of the hostages.[3][4] However, as documented by a congressional investigation, the first Reagan-sponsored secret arms sales to Iran began in 1981 before any of the American hostages had been taken in Lebanon. This fact ruled out the "arms for hostages" explanation by which the Reagan administration sought to excuse its behavior.[5] ..."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran–Contra_affair

(The arms in question were Hawk and TOW missiles, for those who need reminding)

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.
  • NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,464 Senior Member

When are things going to get interesting? Do I need to buckle my seat belt yet? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Unfortunately, when things go wrong, there may not be time to buckle. Do you have one of those prepper bunkers?

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 240 Senior Member

@NZ Indicator said:
    When are things going to get interesting? Do I need to buckle my seat belt yet? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Why don't you go down to Ft. Bragg and jump on a C-17 headed for the Middle East. I'm quite sure the load master will make you buckle into the web seat.

• bushart1bushart1 Posts: 311 Senior Member

@ShawnC2 said:

@NZ Indicator said:

Why don't you go down to Ft. Bragg and jump on a C-17 headed for the Middle East. I'm quite sure the load master will make you buckle into the web seat.

Yeah...smoothie boy buckles up quick when missiles are raining down and he's looking for a bunker with a personal bathroom

@NZ Indicator said:

You need to go hang out at Al Asad Air Base.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
    edited January 17 #491

Yeah. I feel bad for those guys. News this morning indicates that 11 guys were in fact injured from the attack.

@NZ Indicator said:
    Yeah. I feel bad for those guys. News this morning indicates that 11 guys were in fact injured from the attack.

Yes indeed. And dare I say it?....Yet another Trump lie - "No Americans were hurt"

edited January 17 #493

Khameini went on Iran TV to lead televised Friday prayers for the first time in 8 years.

I hear David Bowie and Freddy Mercury singing a duet.

edited January 17 #494

@George K said:
    Yes indeed. And dare I say it?....Yet another Trump lie - "No Americans were hurt"

No. He was going off the initial reports/assessments given to him at that time. The news is reporting that after events like this, concussions are not always immediately evident.

As far as buckling up and getting interesting...this has been a low key event. Iran made a mess and killed zero people.

edited January 17 #495

@NZ Indicator said:

Then stop talking like an a s s hat.

@NZ Indicator said:

@George K said:

No. He was going off the initial reports/assessments given to him at that time. The news is reporting that after events like this, concussions are not always immediately evident.

I got any amount of money he still repeats it.

edited January 17 #498

@NZ Indicator said:

@George K said:

>

If you believe that, I have a couple of bridges in NYC you might like to buy as a can't fail investment. There's a special 10% discount for Lodge Brothers.

The most likely explanation is the brass were afraid to tell Trump we had taken casualties, worried what he might do! And well done.

edited January 20 #500

@George K said:
    If you believe that, I have a couple of bridges in NYC you might like to buy as a can't fail investment. There's a special 10% discount for Lodge Brothers.

But Defense Department officials on Jan. 17 said that top Pentagon officials and White House staffers were only notified about the cases of traumatic brain injury on Jan. 16, and that Trump was likely not aware of them because such injuries are not required to be reported up the chain of command.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/01/initial-reports-of-no-injuries-from-irans-attack-were-inaccurate/

Congratulations, you found the one time Orange Julius Ceasar had not lied.

How do you know a politician is lying?

Their mouth is moving.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 4,947 Senior Member

But Trump's not a politician....

At least that's what his apologists said.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.