I Made A Couple More Knives

124»

Replies

• swizzswizz Senior Member Posts: 2,567 Senior Member

Thanks Shawn. I just shipped it to my lil sis today, I think she'll like it.
    Here's another. This is my spin on a 'Wharncliffe' or 'sheepsfoot' stlye of blade design. It's my understanding that the origin of this blade shape came from early sailing. Later used for other things including some ranchers that took a liking to them over the years for various tasks.

All of your Trout are belong to me.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

I can’t see whether the cutting blade on that one is 100% straight or de-curved just a bit.

Love the handle material on that one.

That one is a straight edge.
    Here's the last knife pics for a while and I probably won't bug you guys for another year or so.
    I made this for a friend who spent a few days at the mine with me last year helping with a reclamation project which was a lot of hard work.

• NZ IndicatorNZ Indicator Senior Member Posts: 10,464 Senior Member

Beautful work Swizz!!

• jbillyjbilly Senior Member Posts: 5,416 Senior Member

How is the mining going. Can't imagine you get out there much in the winter

edited January 9 #97

Sorry, I haven't updated this in a while. In the middle of knifemaking season now. Here are a couple recent ones. I'm almost finished with a 1st run of 4 hunting knives. I'll post those up when they're ready.
    This one was for another friend who had helped with some mining reclamation for several days.

This went to a collector for a pretty penny.

• ShawnC2ShawnC2 Posts: 240 Senior Member

Just stunning, Swizz!!!

edited January 16 #99

Thanks Shawn! I've been keeping my nose to the grindstone. Just finished these and working on a bushcraft now.
    This is a 1st run of 4 hunting knives. This design is a refinement of the previous two "Prospector" knives I pictured. Three go to a family of hunters up here and the sheaths are personalized for the Dad and his kids. They primarily hunt for Elk and Mule Deer. The fourth will go to my cousin in WA. CPM S35 VN steel. Super duper armhair sharp. Sheaths are wet-formed to the knives.

This is a Kitchen Damascus I made from billet (raindrop pattern). G10 handle with Micarta dovetailed bolsters. Blade length 6". It goes to an old retired mine mechanic who's been helping me build & mod my Jeep. The dude is a mechanical genius. This knife will slice zucchini and kill zombies with ease.

I used copper sheeting and red Micarta for scale liners just for the heck of it, something different.

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,166 Senior Member

really nice

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.

Thanks Tex, here's one more. This is a bushcraft style knife that I just completed. Working on five more designs but not sure if I'll finish them before spring. Just sent my steel (CPM 154) to Texas for heat treat, cryo quenching & tempering. I won't see em again for a couple weeks... time to tie flies for a bit I guess. I'm behind on that.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,202 Senior Member

Real beauties!

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Thanks George! Fun hobby but turns out to be just as expensive (and worthwhile)as the others.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,202 Senior Member
    edited February 12 #104

I remember when I started tying flies, I was told I would save money - after the first two thousand dozen.

But yes, it is worthwhile. Keep on with the good work.

You've inspired me to finish three rods I have languishing in the corner of my office/fly tying/rod building room.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Idle hands are the devil's workshop. ;)

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,659 Senior Member

Swizz, did you see that a Greeley cop that won forged in fire? On the show he said he was a farrier from Miliken. I went over and checked out his shop and talked to him about the show. Really interesting.

Yeah I saw that a while back, he was good. Another Coloraddyan won on a recent episode but I can't remember where he was from... a younger guy. Did he have anything juicy to say about the show, behind the scenes stuff?

• CO NativeCO Native Senior Member Posts: 1,659 Senior Member

Just that a LOT goes on that you don't see.

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,510 Senior Member

I call the host "the Face" He's the pretty boy who doesn't know squat about knives. I looked him up though, former Army Ranger and Air Force PJ. So he's not all show and tell.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.