Thank you, Norbert........

LandoLando Posts: 67 Member

And the rest of the vets for your service.

Replies

• bmmikebmmike Posts: 541 Senior Member

Sheb, Comic, crippled Shawn, George. Who else?

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,215 Senior Member

Semper Fi gents

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

Remembrance Day Here

As I watched the ceremony on tv in Ottawa I was reminded of an incident a few years back

An armed ISIS sympathizer walked up to Cpl. Nathan Cirillo and shot and killed him as he stood
    ceremonial guard at The War Memorial

The coward was later shot and killed as he thought to shoot up Parliament

After the incident--this newspaper cartoonist posted this---was award winning

• magallowaymagalloway Senior Member Posts: 1,030 Senior Member

Spending the day remembering the rubber trees, gray dust, and sandbags of Lai Khe and the incredible wall of stench and heat that hit me the moment I got off that plane at Long Binh.

Jim

• sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 4,215 Senior Member

Also, Creekguy and I'm sure there's more. Bushart's kid is in the Canadian military. And since they sacrificed a lot, I feel like he should be honored as well.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member

Honor to all. ( Hong Tra. 1971)

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

To all that have served or are serving--thank you!

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 2,974 Senior Member

USN 76-80.

Just look at the flowers Lizzie just look at the flowers.
  • fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 24,387 Senior Member

I always feel guitly when people thank me for my service when I remember there are those that truly sacrificed.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,039 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    I always feel guitly when people thank me for my service when I remember there are those that truly sacrificed.

This. Well, embarrassed and annoyed, if not exactly guilty.

Two nice stories:

• A couple of weeks ago I was having lunch at a pizzeria with an old - literally, he just turned 99 - former fishing buddy who served as a B17 crew chief in WWII. He was wearing a unit cap. As we were waiting in line to pay a local cop cut in front of us and paid his bill.

• We spent this past weekend at a friend's house in Rehobeth Beach, DE. On the way home yesterday (11/11) we stopped for lunch at Fisherman's Inn, Kent Island, MD near the Bay Bridge. While I was in the men's room the waitress asked my wife if I was a vet. When the bill came my lunch was comped. This was not a burger, but an $18 soft shell crab sandwich.

We always stop there to and from the Eastern Shore or the Delaware beaches, but that made us customers for life. The also have a POW/MIA table set up in the dining room such as you will see in VFWs.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

George are you not a Vietnam Vet?

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 10,039 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    George are you not a Vietnam Vet?

Yes. 1966-67, artillery.

Keep your stinkin' government hands off my Medicare.

Thank You

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.