Home The Lodge

don't think i ever posted these from my Wisconsin trip over Labor Day weekend...

Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior MemberPosts: 3,918 Senior Member
the view from my son's front porch:

6198453587_5d9177c4d4_b.jpg
DSC_9890 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

my grandson, Eamon, in his usual mode of movement...
6198963446_e5fc776926_b.jpg
DSC_9545 by Scott Butner, on Flickr

Replies

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,393 Senior Member
    What's the wet stuff on the ground in the first shot?

Eamon's got a lot of energy going on there. Looks like he's dancing.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member
    Eamon sure is a cute little guy, although maybe you could buy him a comb for Christmas? ;)
    I really like the first pic. The pinkish glow of the street light is very unique. I have an idea with a disclaimer. Disclaimer: I'm not a photographer or an artist. Ok, then. It would be cool if you could somehow do some post processing to shift the window lighting from the house a bit more towards the red end of the spectrum. It would work pretty well with the streetlight reflections. Just a thought. As always, love your still life photos and landscapes!
  • Dang Scott that boy's growing fast. Cute kid. Congrats gramps.
  • Scott ButnerScott Butner Senior Member Posts: 3,918 Senior Member
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    Eamon sure is a cute little guy, although maybe you could buy him a comb for Christmas? ;)
    I really like the first pic. The pinkish glow of the street light is very unique. I have an idea with a disclaimer. Disclaimer: I'm not a photographer or an artist. Ok, then. It would be cool if you could somehow do some post processing to shift the window lighting from the house a bit more towards the red end of the spectrum. It would work pretty well with the streetlight reflections. Just a thought. As always, love your still life photos and landscapes!

Eamon may be taking after grandpa, who rarely uses a comb even now (and lest you say "well, you got no hair...." I'll post a pic of myself in a moment to prove that I do).

The street lights are those sodium vapor lights, the bane of my existence because they are almost impossible to color correct to anything even close to a neutral color. They really destroy a lot of landscape pics.

I actually was trying to do what i think you're suggesting, i.e., warm up the house interior lights -- but I suppose I could do it more. I decided to let the early evening light go to blue to evoke more of a night-time feel, but it wouldn't be hard to warm up the windows selectively even more.
    greenman wrote: »
    Dang Scott that boy's growing fast. Cute kid. Congrats gramps.

that's because they feed him right:

6199230332_406c4b7774_b.jpg
    DSC_0755 by Scott Butner, on Flickr
    Shawn C. wrote: »
    It would be cool if you could somehow do some post processing to shift the window lighting from the house a bit more towards the red end of the spectrum. It would work pretty well with the streetlight reflections. Just a thought.
    I like that. It would balance the colors.
    "We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
    that's because they feed him right:
    All I got was milk and water.

The making of a hipster! Your son is lucky to have such a good photographer to capture memories of Eamon.
    So, are you saying that the slightly pinkish hue is the natural color of those particular street lights? All I've ever seen are the yellowish (metal halide?) ones.
    not so much that it's the NATURAL hue -- but in adjusting the rest of the scene to depict the blue-ishness of early evening, i boosted the blue and violet in the color balance and that's what results.

I suppose I could have balanced different parts of the scene differently, but it isn't really a strong enough shot, compositionally, to invest that much time in. and I am basically, lazy.

BTW, just to prove that i do indeed still have need for a comb these days (even if I rarely use it) I had my wife take this photo of me a few minutes ago....

6199377252_b4dc23c615_z.jpg
    D7K_1005 by Scott Butner, on Flickr
    You don't need a comb, you need one of those lawn thatchers!
    I aspire to be Wetdog when I grow up.....
  • You sure that's your hair.

...............from the 70s.
    no. THIS is my hair from the 70's:

hairybutner.jpg
  • I thought Abby Hoffman was dead?
    no. THIS is my hair from the 70's:

hairybutner.jpg

Didn't you used to play lead guitar for Queen?

I thought Abby Hoffman was dead?

he was sort of my hero when I was in high school.......
  • I'm just jealous cause you got hair and it's the same color.
  • he was sort of my hero when I was in high school.......

Dam straight, stickin it to the man.
    I'm just jealous cause you got hair and it's the same color.

Well, at 53, there's a bit of gray finally sneaking into it. My wife, who started turning gray in her 20's and is solidly silver now, cheers on each and every one of the gray hairs in my head.

I still have the occasional person guess my age at early 40's, but I tend to dismiss that as hanging out with too many young people who don't know any better, not a reflection on my actual age.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement