Home The Lodge

the 1619 project

13»

Replies

• fishingcomicfishingcomic Senior Member Posts: 26,558 Senior Member

Like you would let me get away without providing examples.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan
  • George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member

@MikeA said:
    Wasn't sure where to put this but this seems approp.

Dem Lawmaker Says Illegal Immigrants Are Needed To Mow ‘Our Beautiful Lawns’

https://www.dailywire.com/news/50950/watch-dem-lawmaker-says-illegal-immigrants-are-molly-prince

He's absolutely correct. This is a discussion we've had many times here.

I live in "apple country", where were the supply of temporary visas and questionable immigrants to dry up, fruit would fall to the ground and rot. Prices of fresh fruit and apple sauce would skyrocket and many local businesses would go bust.

The same is true in many other areas of the country and in many other industries.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • sherbsherb Senior Member Posts: 6,413 Senior Member

@fishingcomic said:
    Like you would let me get away without providing examples.

oh I know, I gotta do it. I'm just feeling lazy today.

I think the real objective here is to create so much debate that I read more than 6 articles and have to finally subscribe.

'I've spoken of the Shining City all my political life. …In my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That's how I saw it, and see it still.'" Ronald Reagan

You should anyway. Its a good paper. Its not that much money.

I get cheap about the weirdest things.

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,665 Senior Member

@sherb said:
    You should anyway. Its a good paper. Its not that much money.

I used to sneak around their pay wall, but my conscience got the best of me.

We need newspapers, so I subscribe to the Times, Post and the paper version of my near-useless local rag. Its most useful news is a weekly list of restaurants that passed or failed state sanitary inspection, and for the latter, why.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.
  • Shawn C.Shawn C. Senior Member Posts: 7,027 Senior Member

It's only $4/month. I'll buy the beer next time we fish.

That wouldn't make it any different than any other time we fish. :D

In the spirit of fairness, though, I’d like to highlight this excellent contribution to the debate. I disagree with parts of it, but it’s well done, it’s fair, and at least attempts to tell the whole story.

edited August 2019 #74

If there was no racism amongst the founding fathers how do you justify them enslaving an entire race?

Can you find me a passage where an author in the 1619 state that all the founders were white supremacists? I seriously doubt that anyone could state with any level of credibility that it was not part of the debate nor a prevailing philosophy at the time of our founding.

edited August 2019 #75

But that individual failing did not prove that the Declaration excluded non-whites, or that the Constitution guaranteed slavery.

In the article I linked the author makes the exact opposite claim. That it was the declaration that slaves and decendants of slaves claimed supported their equality.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement