Home The Lodge

Apollo 11 vs. D-Day

breamfisherbreamfisher Senior MemberPosts: 6,275 Senior Member

Just wondering, but does it seem like the TV stations are doing more specials and. TV news broadcasts commemorating the 50th anniversary of the Moon Shot than they did for the 75th anniversary of D-Day?

Replies

• BushartBushart Senior Member Posts: 3,041 Senior Member

Your right Breamster

These 2 are apples and oranges---and One determined our lives

You betcha the moon landing was historic---new innovation---personal risk---deaths with space travel---it can go on and on

But (here's where ya''ll jump on me)----there's the same risk in car racing---it could be extended to flight gone far

D-day was courage where you didn't know existed
    How many men Died?
    This literally was to save the free world (not confused with piggyback Bush--mission accomplished )
    You were liberating "Concentration Camps"....nuff said

I think there's a renewed interest in space travel cuz we screwed up this planet--thus the history lesson

Caution on forgetting D-Day tho---Those that do not learn the lessons of history ---are bound...........

• FishTXFishTX Super Moderator Posts: 8,971 Senior Member

I don't have TV these days. I watch everything through the net. Seemed to be a fair amount of D-Day coverage. In addition to my facebook feeds which covered a lot, friends shared much from their feeds.

"We have to find someone who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."

Crooow:This music would work better with women in bikinis shaking all over the place. I guess that's true of any music really.
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 6,275 Senior Member

I did see a lot on social media, but that could be because of who my friends are and the channels I follow.

• Green Mt BoyGreen Mt Boy Senior Member Posts: 1,076 Senior Member

I sort of feel like D Day has been flogged to death. Maybe it is because it has already had a 50 year anniversary and there was coverage then. I wish they would cover other theaters of the war more, like North Africa and the Pacific—Guadalcanal, the naval battles, etc. I see a fair amount about the eastern front. The Korean War was important and very hard fought, but you don’t see much about it. I like the space race stuff because I remember it and being a red blooded American was (is) jazzed about it.

• creekyguycreekyguy Posts: 361 Senior Member

I have encountered WW2 vets who were angy that other epic battles of the war are downplayed. One was PO'd about ignoring the Battle of the Bulge, another about Iwo Jima. Of course, the Russki's complain we don't pay attention to the real WW2 turning point, Stalingrad. The media does its thing, but historians eventually sort out the important parts. Time to GOI (get over it).

• George KGeorge K Super Moderator Posts: 11,650 Senior Member

The Russians sort of have a point, they lost more soldiers and civilians in what they call "The Great Patriotic War" than everyone else combined, I think. Of course a lot of those deaths were caused by Stalin's callousness and paranoia.

The GOP big tent now is the size of a pup tent, its floor splattered with guano.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction.

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Fly Fisherman stories delivered right to your inbox.

Advertisement